*16*

"I trust you

"I trust you." She smiles.

"Good. I don't know what I'd do if you didn't."

The waitress comes and takes my order.

"Would it be ok if we do another training session before I go home tonight?" She asks.

"Of course." I smile.

The waitress brings me my food. As she's setting on the table, the windows burst, shattering and spraying glass to the next wall. Both Vicki and I crouch down in our booth.

We both look at the waitress and back at each other. And for a moment, I see the girl I failed to protect those seven years ago. Scared.

She, within seconds, pulls out her gun and starts shooting at the men walking into the diner.

She gets two down, but neither is dead. Another four men storm in and fire, killing at least half a dozen innocent people and injuring almost everyone else.

I pull out my gun and shoot the hands of each of the men, causing them to drop the machine guns.

Vicki raises her head a little and more shots come from outside.

"I think someone wants you dead." I laugh.

She smiles sarcastically and shoots another guy, but he dodges the bullet. They come too close, and she doesn't have another clip. When she's out she jumps on the guy that's closest. She hits him on the head with the butt of her gun. The very large man comes crashing down.

Another grabs her from behind, but she elbows him in the side.

Just like I taught her.

Once shes mostly free she throws him over her shoulder.

"God you were heavy." She kicks him.

I realize the shots from outside have stopped.

I look around and see three more men coming in from the kitchen. I slip behind the counter and to the other side and grab one of the machine guns.

I tear apart two of the three men before I'm out.

The third shoots at me, but misses me every time.

Those who have survived and can still walk have run by now, and if they're injured, they're hiding.

I can see someone calling someone on their phone. If its 911 they ain't gonna send anybody. Not even the dirty cops dare mess with gang territory.

"Jason!" I hear, "I need a little help!" She calls. I look over and see her struggling with a shorter man. He's trying to stab her. But she dances around him so gracefully, not missing a step.

"A little busy!" I call back. Once the third guy is out he throws the gun and charges at me. I step to the side, and he can't stop his momentum once he misses me. He goes head first into a wall.