*17*

"Alright

"Alright. Uppercut, doge, right jab, block, left cut." I tell the boy.

I brought him with me, allowing him to recover from the mess of his dinner.

I asked him if he wanted a few moves so he could protect himself.

"Alright, go," I tell him and put up the hand pads.

He does as I say and I'm impressed.

"You don't talk much do you?"

He shakes his head.

"Well, you did really well. Almsit like you and done it before."

The boy smiles, and I follow.

"Alright," I look over at the clock on the wall, "it's getting late, you can go sleep in the guest room," I tell him. He smiles and runs off.

Jason walks in, all ready to train.

"I want to train you with a knife. You did well today, but you need to know how to use another weapon." He whips out the knife.

I take it and trace my finger along the engravings of my initials.

"Copy what I do." He says.

He puts the opposite leg of his predominant hand in back, then turns sideways slightly. His knife is in his predominant hand and his eyes at on me.

"Jab, quickly." He shows me, and I do as he said.

"Good, now slice." Once again, I do as he says.

For half an hour, we dance around. I feel like I'm doing it wrong, but according to Jason, I'm very graceful.

"Now throw it at that target." He says, pointing at the wooden target on the other side of the room.

I throw it, and I hit it right in the head.

"Good job. One more... But more stakes."

He hands me the knife back and goes back toward the target.

"What are you doing?"

"Throw it just above my head."

"WHAT!? Are you insane."

"Just do it. I trust you "

I take a breath and chuck it. Once the knife had left my hand, I close my eyes.

Once I hear the crisp sound of the blade through the wood, I open them again.

"You did it!" He says.

I realize I haven't taken a breath, so I do so, and I focus on my breathing

"Do you- do you want to stay here tonight?" He asks.

"Yeah. I want to be here when the boy wakes up."

"No name yet?"

"No. He doesn't say much."