Special IV: Chapter 3 (Rewrite)

Dunkin' Donuts

I laid my head onto my arms which were crossed on the table as Brooklyn set down a steaming, hot cup of cappuccino on it. I inhaled heavenly scent and let out a satisfied sigh. We had arrived in Seoul just not too long ago and made our way immediately to JYP Entertainment. Brooklyn and I decided to kill some time at the Dunkin' Donuts outlet just opposite the building before I go for my audition. I would never say no to coffee in my sleep derived state now.

"I said that I wanted the iced one," I whined as I turned my head up from the table and sat properly. Brooklyn shook her head as she took a sip of the iced americano she had ordered, " You are going to the audition soon. Iced coffee will upset your stomach and I doubt you would like that to happen to you."

I rolled my eyes over what she had said and took a sip of my cappuccino. I let out a low key hum as my taste buds devoured and indulged themselves in the caffeine. I must say, the aroma did it justice. I pulled my arms up to stretch myself and let out a yawn, the ride from Incheon to Seoul was long and exhausting. Brooklyn had fallen asleep half an hour into the ride, leaving me bored and restless for the rest of it. I intended to sleep as well but my fetish of not being able to fall asleep at other places besides my bed kept me awake for the rest of the journey, simply staring at the roof of the bus.

I took out the piece of paper stashed at the side of my bag with lyrics written on it and set in on the table. The paper had been so crumbled that some of the writings were tearing off. I ran my eyes through the lyrics as I start reciting over them in my mind. I had to make sure that I didn't miss one word. No one is perfect but no matter what I had to make an exception today and achieve perfection. It was too competitive and I had a huge desire to be selected. I wasn't going to let my efforts become futile. I reckon I could get another chance to take part in another audition after this. Although my parents had not shown it, but I'm aware of their disapproval of what I am doing right now. The drop in my grades in my recent tests did not help my case.

I shook away the sidetracked thoughts and diverted my attention back to the paper once again. I bit down on my lower lip and started tapping on the table with my fingertips.

"Stop tapping the table, it's annoying." Brooklyn shot me a glare as I let out a sheepish grin and set my hands below the table. I hummed the lyrics in an off tune and looked onto the ceiling as I swung my torso forward and backward.

"Min Ae." Brooklyn as in a commanding tone as I stopped fidgeting and looked at her. She let out sigh as she shook her head,"I'm sure that you can do this. Stop worrying and just relax. I doubt over stressing will help you."

"Well, you know me, I cannot stop worrying." I gave her a slight grin as I tried to regain my composure. I had practiced well for this and I will ace this. I clenched and released my fists for several times while taking deep breaths. I lack of assurance, I was never sure of myself. It was habitual for me to doubt my actions, my decisions, heck even my choices. And now, I was doubting my preparation for this audition. Is the really the best I could do? Was there any chance of me being able to do better?

I guess that will be for me to find out.

*

I reached out for the coffee cup in front of me and took a sip. I scrunched my face and grimaced at how cold it was right now.

"Min Ae, are you ready to go? It's almost time for you to register for the interview." Brooklyn reminded me. I gave her a nod as I stood up from my seat and hastily made my way to the entrance of Dunkin' Donuts and swung it inward to open the door. I caught sight of the building, the building that had already changed my life and will continue to do so.