Chapter 3

"Ava, are you ok?" A knock suddenly followed the question. I opened the bathroom door to find Michael. "Hey..." I mumbled. Michael scratched his head before saying, "Hey look, I'm sorry for asking that question, it was stupid." Worry filled my head. I didn't want to cause a dramatic scene, especially in front of them.

"Michael it's fine, it's not your fault. I just wanted to, um, you know, leave you guys to some privacy."

"Ava, it's ok. Really." Michael said, smiling.

I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear, and smiled back. Suddenly, reality hit me. "Wait, where's Luke?'

"Oh, he's hiding in his room because he's too chicken to ask you out."

My first instinct was to reply back, but my mouth just hung open, without any words or sounds coming out. I swallowed what I was going to say, and started again. "So, Luke likes me?" Michael then started to laugh, and I could almost hear Calum and Ashton laughing in the living room, too. "Um hello, it's so obvious that he likes you. He hides his face from you a lot, if you haven't noticed."

I felt the rush of heat go to my cheeks. "Should I go talk to him?" I said. Michael just shrugged. I rolled my eyes and walked past him to go to Luke's room. I ran up the flight of stairs to find the first door on the right; Luke's room. I slowly walked up to the door and knocked. The door suddenly swung open. "Who is it- Ava?" Luke said.

"Hey, uh, can I come in?" Luke wiped his face with the sleeve of his shirt, and mumbled, "Yeah, sure...whatever."

I stepped into his room, which was surprisingly plain. The walls were painted a deep navy blue color, and in the middle of his room was his bed. Across from his bed was just a dresser and a closet, which was probably empty, too. I walked around the room with my hands in my jean pockets, while Luke stood behind me. I turned around to face him and said, "I'm shocked Luke Hemmings. I didn't expect someone like you to have such plain walls. You know, poster-less." I smiled.

Luke chuckled and wiped his face again. "Yeah, we've been playing at a lot of different locations, so I haven't spent much time here, nonetheless have the time to put up posters."

I chuckled this time. "You really know how to lighten the mood." he said. I took my hands out of my pockets and clasped them together. "Well, I guess that's my specialty then." I bit down on my lip and then continued, "Do you want to to talk?" Luke ran a hand through his hair and then said, "Look Ava, it's fine if you don't feel the same wa-"

I cut him off. "What if I did?"

Luke stared at me, giving me a strange look, as if liking him was impossible. "Then...I uh...wouldn't want to.....ruin our friendship." He said, running a hand through his hair again.

"Really Luke?" I stepped forward, maybe an inch closer to him. "We can at least try. You know, us. Just us." Luke rubbed his eyes, that were now red, and said, "Ava, I like our friendship. I mean, yes I would love to take you out for dinner or a movie and you're seriously so beautiful, but...I want to keep you in my life for as long as possible. I think us dating will ruin that."

I took a deep breath and thought. I knew that Luke was right, but he said that he wanted to keep me in his life for as long as possible. It was a risk, definitely, but I wanted to keep Luke in my life for as long as possible, too. I want to stay friends with all of the boys because they really impacted my life in the short time that we spent together. I knew that he wanted to ask me out, but he also didn't want me to leave.

"Alright Hemmings, we can stay friends." I smiled again and stuck out my hand for Luke to shake. Luke left me hanging for a few seconds before he hesitantly shook my hand and forced a smile back.

"Trust me, I hate this as much as you do." I thought.

~~~

I woke up suddenly to my phone buzzing nonstop on the counter. I sat up in my seat and searched the room. My eyes felt heavy, and they were slowly closing, but one thing that I could tell was that I fell asleep on their couch. I moved my feet one at a time until I finally reached the counter. Just as it was about to stop ringing, I answered. "Hello?" I said, groggily.

"Ava, where are you?"

"Chase?"

"Yes, Ava. Who else would be calling you at 5 in the morning?" Just as he said that, I squinted at the kitchen clock and saw that it was indeed 5 am. At this point, it didn't matter how heavy my eyes were because they opened widely when I realized that I was going to be late for work. "Oh my god, Chase, what am I going to do? Gosh how could I be so stupid to forget to set an alarm! Oh my god, I'm going to get fired. They might as well find another actor to play my part-"

"Ava, you're wasting time talking to me. Just be here, ok?"

"Alright, thank you so much for calling I almost forgot." I hung up the phone and ran to the bathroom to change. After my shower, I ran to my room and thanked myself for bringing some clothes over to the 5sos house. I found a pair of black leggings and a sweatshirt, and then ran back downstairs. I pulled on my boots and opened the door halfway, when I realized that the boys wouldn't wake up until probably noon. I scibbled on the nearest paper with a pen saying that I would be back by 5 or 6 pm. The boys and I were given the day off today, and my two week break for the movie ended today. I finally left the house in a rush and drove off to work.

I came home later that day, around six pm. I opened the door to find Michael on the couch playing Call of Duty. Luke was in the kitchen, but I couldn't find Ashton or Calum. "Hey Luke." I greeted him. He spun around quickly and then gave me a genuine smile. "Oh, hey Ava."

"That's it? You don't seem happy to see me Lucas." I said, while playfully hitting his shoulder.

"Why wouldn't I be happy to see you? I see you like everyday anyways." Before I could reply, Ashton stepped into the house from the back door. "Ava, hey! How are you?" He came up to me and wrapped his arms around my neck. I hugged him back, and then turned back around to face Luke. "See, Ashton's happy to see me." I said, raising an eyebrow. Luke let out a laugh, and so did Ashton.

"Hey, we should quiet down, Calum's on the phone upstairs." Ashton said.

"His family?" I asked. Ashton nodded. They all probably miss their families so much from being on tour and moving to LA. Speaking of families, I haven't called my parents in a while either.

"So...do you want to grab dinner or not?" Luke said. I turned my gaze to Luke, who looked confused once again.

"Oh sorry, um, dinner's fine." Ashton giggled and then said, "Ok, Ava."

"What's so funny?"

"Nothing, it's just that you get so deep in thought that you, like completely zone out."

I crossed my arms over my chest. "Is that a bad thing?"

"No, it's just...weird."

"Wow, thanks Luke."

"No problem." Ashton giggled again, before saying, "Ok guys, if we want to go to dinner, we should leave now. Ava, you get Michael and I'll see if Calum's done on the phone." After we rounded up our group, we all got into the car and drove to the restaruant. As we were driving, I put a hand on Luke's shoulder and said to him, "You know what Hemmings, you're the weird one."

A/N: Hey guys! Thanks for 20 reads by the way! It means a lot to know that you all read my story.

QOTD: What is your favorite song by 5sos? I love all of them, but I guess Disconnected would have to be my favorite.