Chapter 23

I couldn't stop crying. The pain in my heart felt like a jab to the stomach, except this was much worse. After my Skype call with Luke, I locked myself in the bathroom and just cried. This was one of those times where I needed to be alone because I knew no one would be any good help. Why does this have to be this way? I thought. He knew that not telling me and leaving would ruin our relationship, so why would he do it then? My head was now throbbing and my throat was dry from the crying. I wasn't ready to move on, but was he? All of these thoughts caused the cries to become louder. Suddenly, a knock on the door caused me to jerk my head up. I looked down at my now wet sleeve that I was crying on, and used the other arm to dry my tears. 

"Ava? I need to talk to you." Chase said through the door. 

"Chase, leave me alone." I muttered. Chase, however, hadn't heard me, since he was on the other side of the door. 

"Ava, please." 

"Go away!" I yelled, making sure that he heard me. 

"I'm not going to leave until you open up." Silence filled the air. My crying had stopped, merely because I wanted Chase to leave. 

"No answer? Alright, then." Chase said. "Chelsea and Ralph called by the way, they're going to be here soon." I could hear him sigh. 

"Tell them to come back later." I said. 

"Ava, the premiere's tonight. Remember? They can't really come back later." 

I began to become annoyed with Chase, so I slowly unlocked the door and opened it. 

"Well, thank God." Chase said under his breath, as he pulled me into his embrace. I was startled for a few seconds, but I soon wrapped my arms around him, placing my head on his shoulder. 

"You okay?" he whispered, his chin resting on the top of my head. 

"No." I whimpered, a few tears escaping onto Chase's shirt. 

"If you want, I can beat up that 6 foot blonde dirtbag when we get back to LA." Chase laughed. If only that 6 foot blonde dirtbag wasn't travelling in Europe, then sure Chase, why not? 

"Do you want to talk about it?" he asked. 

"Yeah," I whispered, my throat still feeling dry. He led me to the living room, and I sat down on the couch, while he went to get me a glass of water. 

"Here." he said, handing me the glass. 

"Thanks," I mumbled. Chase sat down next to me, waiting patiently for me to explain. And, so I did. I explained to him everything that Luke said, and everything I said back to him. I kept crying in the process of it, though. 

"I'm just so sick of crying!" I shouted, burying my head in the palms of my hands. I sprang up from the couch and looked in a mirror that was hung on the wall. When I saw myself, more tears escaped. My eyes were red and the bottom of my lashline was swollen. My skin tone was pale and my lips were cracked and dry. I was a mess. 

"I can't go out like this," I said, throwing my hands in the air. "What's the point of even going to the premiere." I muttered the last part. 

"What's the point? You're the main character, the one that everyone is expecting tonight, Ava." Chase said. "Don't do this, okay?" 

"Fine." Suddenly, the door buzzed. Chase went to open it, while I lay on the couch, feeling sick. 

"Why happened to our shining star?" Ralph asked, looking over me. 

"I-- don't feel good. That's all." I replied. 

"You'll be fine for tonight, right?" Chelsea said. 

"I'll survive," I groaned. Chelsea held out her hand to help me get up from the couch, so she could start on my hair. Ralph walked back in holding Chase's suit and my gown. 

"Let's go, we don't have that much time, guys." Chelsea said, pulling out her hair and makeup bags. I pulled up a chair and sat down. I closed my eyes for a few minutes to relax and to completely erase Luke from my mind tonight. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Brussels, Belgium; 7:02 pm

Luke's POV

I couldn't stop staring at my phone screen. My head hung low; my eyes starting to strain. 

"God, she looks beautiful," I whispered towards the picture on my screen. Because of the time differences, people had already posted pictures from the premiere in New York. I mean, I always kept up with her. Every day, I would wake up and google 'Ava Harper' to see what she did one day, or what she wore to a party. Look at her smiling, I thought. Is she really happy? 

"Mate, you alright?" Ashton said, knocking on the dressing room door. 

"Yeah, I'm fine." I replied, not moving my eyes from the screen. 

"We have a show to do in like 30 minutes, so either you get up from that spot on the floor, or you grab your guitar and help us prepare." Ashton said, his jaw clenched. 

"Jesus, sorry. I'm coming." I shouted, walking up towards Ashton, but he stopped me. 

"What's going on with you and Ava?" he asked me. 

"I don't know. She hates me, what's new?"

"Luke, she never hated you." 

"Now she does." I snapped, grabbing my guitar and played a few chords. Ashton rolled his eyes at me and walked away towards Calum and Michael, where I was left feeling broken. 

A/N: Alright, so the next few chapters are going to be sad and I know that it sounds like Ava and Luke are overreacting, but they're not. My writing is just bad lol 

Thanks for reading! Remember to vote!