Chapter 21

A month has passed since the Toronto Film Festival. We ended up winning the People's Choice Award First Runner Up, and Josh won a director's award. I kept telling myself that I would remember that night for the rest of my life, but only three weeks later, I had already forgotten most of it.

My agent had rented Chase and I an apartment in New York for the last premiere of the movie. So far, we've travelled from Toronto to Rome, to the UK, and finally New York. As I was unpacking my stuff, I found my journal. I had gotten into the habit of bringing it with me, in case I wanted to write something down. This was one of those times where I needed to express my feelings through writing. Chase had gone out with a few friends of his, so he won't back for a while. Once I got my journal, I plugged my headphones in and plopped down on the couch.

9/22/14

Wow...it feels like I've been travelling for two years, but it's only been a month. If I could count the number of flights I've been on, you probably wouldn't believe me. Anyways, I'm alright, so far, but I'm still not sure how Luke is. He still hasn't called me this whole time I've been away, and I'm starting to worry. Something could've happened to him, and I'm not there to know. I've tried calling him, but it goes straight to voicemail every time. My head hurts and I could feel my heart drop when ever I see these articles and rumors about how people think that Luke and I broke up. I'm just so jet lagged and I just need to rest-

I suddenly hear a faint buzzing sound from across the room. I quickly close my journal and rush over to where my phone is. I look at the screen to see that it's only notifications from Twitter, no phone calls or texts. I log in and skim through all of the tweets. As I read each one, my eyes stop at Luke's name. He recently tweeted something 30 minutes ago.

@Luke5sos: Amsterdam was great last night! x

I began to pick at my nails, thinking. He's in Amsterdam? Are the others with him? The questions were now endless. I got up and started to pace around the couch.
"Just call him, Ava." I said to myself. "But... why would he be in Amsterdam?" I could hear my voice starting to shake, and the tears starting to form. A huge ball of anger was now inside me, leaving me on the verge of having a meltdown. I slowly picked up my phone with trembling fingers, ready to call Luke. I pressed the call button and waited anxiously.

Ring...

Ring...

The call keeps going until I hear his sweet voice. "Hi, you've reached my phone...uh yeah I'll call back as soon as possible."

"Stupid phone." I said, as I chucked it across the room, perfectly landing on the couch. Suddenly, it starts rining. My eyes widen, but not for long, because Luke wasn't the one calling.

"Hey Chase." I said into the phone, trying not to sound disappointed, or start crying.

"Hey, what are you doing?" he asked.

"Nothing, I guess."

"You sound so bored, which is actually good."

"Why would that be good?" I rolled my eyes.

"Because, now you have to come to dinner with me and my friends." As he said that, I could picture him smirking.

"Fine, I'll go with you, only because I'm bored." I smiled.

"Great, I'll be there in 20. And don't come out with sweatpants, or I'll have to pick out your outfit for you-" I cut him off mid-sentence, only because the last time he picked out an outfit for me, it was terrible.

"Ok, ok. See you." I hung up the phone and went to my so-called "bedroom" to change out of my sweatpants. I put on a pair of skinny jeans and a cropped, burgundy shirt. I ran a brush through my hair, getting rid of the tangles and knots. I was done in the next five minutes, which was when Chase arrived.