25

8 years ago

Soobin, age 11

Jin, age 19

eleven-year-old Soobin was thrown on the ground by a middle school boy. The younger boy wiped dirt off his face with the back of his palm before getting back on his feet. He lunged forward, punching the same boy in the face, drawing blood from his nose. Two other middle school boys pushed him onto the ground and started kicking him.

"What the hell are you kids doing?!" The middle school boys were shoved back. The three boys quickly scurried away, leaving Soobin on the ground. Beaten and bruised. Jin grit his teeth together and debated on going after the three kids but decided against it once he saw the position Soobin was in.

"Are you okay?" Jin crouched down in front of the kid. Soobin sat up, not able to look at Jin in the face from shame. Jin frowned and set down his bags before taking Soobins hands in his face. The oldest of the two softly cleaned Soobin's face with his handkerchief.

"I started it" Soobin admitted.

"I knew that much already" Jin sighed as he let go of Soobins face.

"They were trying to kill a bunny.. it made me mad"

"Did the bunny get away?"

"Yes"

"Okay"

"I'm sorry"

"For what?"

"Not being stronger" Soobin bit his lip, trying to hold back tears. Jin rolled his eyes before running his hand messily through Soobins hair.

"It's okay to cry. It doesn't make you any less stronger" Soobins eyes landed on the bruise on Jins cheek.

"One day I'll get so strong hyung. So strong that no one will ever be able to hurt the people i loved." Jin smiled fondly at the younger boy.

"I believe in you" Jin stood up "hey, wanna go to a lake? I was going to feed fish" Soobin nodded his head eagrly.

"Yeah!"

...

Huening Kai chugged his orange juice in seconds. He was drinking so fast that some of the juice fell down his throat, making his skin and shirt sticky. Soobin and he sat on some steps that lead to a park. The sun was beginning to set.

Soobin sat quietly next to Kai, picking at the tab of the orange juice can. His mind was on something else. His mind was on Jin.

"Is something wrong?" Huening asked once he realized Soobin hadn't opened his drink yet.

"Yeah, everything is good.." Soobin laid his head on Kai's shoulder. He wanted nothing more than to be close to him

"Who was that guy? what was his name again.."

"Jin. He uh.. he wasn't part of the gang, but he was friends with Jimin and the others"

"Why does it feel like there's more to him than just that?" Soobin bit his lip.

"He left to America with Namjoon and the others two years ago. They're back now. They're all back"

"Is that good?"

"I don't know."

"Soobin. There's something you want to tell me, isn't there? just say it" Soobin licked his lips and laughed dryly.

"I don't think its something you should talk to your boyfriend about"

"Then talk to me as your friend" Soobin lifted his head up from Kai's shoulder. He opened his drink finally and took large gulps. He let out a deep sigh before finally speaking.