Chapter 31: Tips

Weeks later I'm talking to Tash during a shift at the restaurant.

"Don't be afraid to flirt with your customers girl," Tash says to me.

"You flirt with your customers?" I ask.

"Of course, that's how we get paid," she reasons.

"What does Sean say about that?" I wonder.

"Sean doesn't get a say. He does not pay my bills. It's not cheating Millie, it's work and I'm providing for myself just fine thank you," she explains.

"I don't think I can do that," I admit.

"Why don't you pretend each customer is Gabe? Treat them the way you'd treat him. Give them the attention you think Gabe would appreciate," Tash suggests.

"Gabe doesn't want my attention," I say.

"Sure he does," Tash replies.

"I think I'm losing him," I admit.

"What? Why?" she asks.

"I can probably count the number of times I've seen in the last month with one hand. When we are together, we don't talk instead we argue for no reason apparently because nothing gets resolved," I tell her.

"Maybe you need some time together then," Tash suggests.

"That's part of it. He has other things going on," I reply.

"He's too busy to see you?" she questions.

"Apparently," I answer.

"Yeah, right! He's not exactly an over achiever. No offense," she responds.

"Frankly, I overschedule myself to avoid him sometimes too," I say.

"Has anything changed between you two?" she asks.

"Beside me being boring?" I ask.

"He said that?"

"He wants fun and I'm obviously not that," I say, "He doesn't like it when I pry."

"What do you mean?" she asks.

"There's just a number of things. Things he says and then what he doesn't. Then there's what I say, do, don't do, the list just goes on. I don't know. I've seen him go from calm to just furious in a matter of seconds. Mostly when I try to get information out of him. He's always has something going on now," I explain.

"Do you think he's cheating?" she asks.

"Maybe," I answer truthfully, "Gabriel seems to be pretty over me these days."

"That's not good," Tash concludes.

"That's exactly what I'm thinking."

How do I tell Tash what I really think? That I think I the problem is with one particular thing I'm not doing.

"Do you want to do a stake out? We can follow him and find out exactly what it is he's hiding," she offers.

"I think he's just not interested in me anymore," I answer flatly, "I'd ask him question that I don't think I even want answers to now."

"You know what? I'm going to handle this. Gabriel needs to be reminded he's lucky to have you," Tash decides, "Let me help with that."