Chapter 35: It Starts With A Picture Frame

Maybe I took Gabriel's plea to heart. Maybe I genuinely gave him a chance. I was nice to him. Maybe I was too nice. Did I send the wrong signals? Did I do or say something that gave him the idea that I was interested in him? Did something I did come off as flirting? Did I do this?

I pace around the room trying to make sense of everything. I see the picture of me on the desk. That girl is happy. I look in the mirror. This girl is another. I stare at everything in the room. So neat and organized. The way I like to keep it. The way I liked to see it. Right now, I hate it. It's just there. Unchanged. While I am not. It starts with that picture frame...

I feel someone's arms around me. I assume it's me remembering. I'm back in that room. But the voice isn't Charlie's. It's Gabriel.

What is he doing?

"Amelia, stop," he says.

I don't listen. Instead, I struggle to get free. I try everything. I try to elbow him. To kick. Scratch. Push his arms away with my own. Nothing works. My breathing quickens.

"Let go!" I yell.

"Not until you calm down," he answers holding me tighter.

"I said get your hands off me!" I scream.

"Gabe, I think I you should listen. She's clearly aware," Logan says.

Aware? What is Logan saying?

Finally, Gabriel's arms release me. For a minute, I'm frozen. Eyes closed. Terrified of moving. I wait. My eyes open. Arms fall at my side. What makes Gabriel think he can walk in here and restrain me? I look around the room. The floor is covered in my things. Books. Papers. Clothes. Shoes. Wall décor. My desk, end table, shelves, all cleared. My picture frames thrown across the room. The mirror in pieces. My fists are still clenched.

The three of them are staring at me. Tash. Logan. Gabriel. I suddenly realize I'm not ready to see him.

"What happened?" I ask.

"You tell us," Logan answers.

"You flipped out," Tash says.

And they came in and found me?

"Out. All of you," I say.

But they don't go.

"What are you waiting for?" I ask.

The three of them exchange looks.

"Millie-" Tash starts.

"Get out!" I repeat.

They don't listen.

"GET OUT! GET OUT! GET OUT! GET OUT! GET OUT! GET OUT! GET OUT!" I yell over and over again.

Again, nothing happens. I give up. I fall to my knees, cover my face with my hands and much like I've been doing the last two days, I wish I wasn't me. The only line I manage is, "I can't do this."

The three of them stand there not knowing what to do until Gabriel moves slowly and squats next to me.

"Hey," he says.

"Stay back," I reply.

"It's just me," he raises his hands to show me he isn't attempting to do anything. Little does he know, that's exactly what I need.

"Okay. Breathe," he says.

I can't tell him.

"Talk to me babe," he instructs.

I don't want to, but I look at Gabe anyways. For a few seconds I just stare at him. I try to read him, but I can't, "What are you doing here Gabriel?" I ask.

"Did you even bother to hear my messages?" he responds.

I didn't even consider it.

"I think we can all agree you have some explaining to do," he continues.

"I don't," I reply.

He's gonna hate me. He doesn't know it yet, but he will.

"Tash said-" he starts.

"Tash doesn't know what she's talking about. Whatever she told you, didn't come from me," I tell Gabriel.

"Amelia-" he starts.

"Don't Amelia me. I want you to go. Right now," I tell him.

"You can't still be mad at me," he says.

"Mad?" I ask," Why are you here? We broke up."

"We had an argument, like we do all the time," he claims.

"Take a hint and leave," I look at Tash and Lo, "All of you."

More than confused, Tash and Gabriel look angry. Not Logan though, he's simply speechless.

"Okay, I get why you're kicking Gabe out, but Lo and I didn't do anything," says Tash.

"I don't want to see any of you. That's reason enough," I reply to Tash.

"The nerve you have," she answers.

"I'm not going anywhere," says Gabriel.

"I don't need your questions. I am so tired of questions," I say.

"Then try answering. Say whatever it is," Gabriel insists.

"If I wanted to do that, I would have answered my phone. Did I? No. Did I call or ask you to come over? No. I don't want to see you. I don't want to talk to you. I don't even want to think about you. Okay? Can you understand that?" I tell Gabriel.

"Is this because of one lie?" he asks.

"I'm giving you an out Gabriel. Take it," I answer.

"Aren't you the one that complains about me not telling you things? Why do you think I'm here if not to tell you something? Which by how you're acting, you may not give a damn about," he replies.

Why does nobody listen? How many different ways do I have to say it? GO AWAY! GO AWAY! GO AWAY!

"Amelia?" he says.

"What Gabriel? What do you want?" I ask.

Gabriel says one word, "Charlie."

I wince at the sound of his name.

Oh my God. Does he know?

"Charlie was in an accident last night," he continues.

What?

"Is he okay?" asks Tash.

"No. He's not. He's in a coma," answers Gabe.

"Oh my God. I am so sorry Gabe," Tash tells him.

"No, no, no that didn't happen...it's not true, he doesn't just get to-" I stop myself from finishing the sentence.

This time the three of them actually do look at me like I am crazy now.

"He doesn't get to what?" questions Gabriel.

"He's not..." I start again.

The room starts spinning and the last thing I remember is Gabriel moving forward to catch me.