Chapter 55: They're All The Same

I've been wondering about Tash's break up since it happened. I respected her privacy when Tash didn't want to tell me about it. Now I want to know.

"Can I talk to you about something," I ask Tash one day.

I sit down next to her on the couch.

"Maybe," Tash answers.

"What happened with you and Sean?"

"That's between me and Sean," she replies.

"I hate that we don't turn to each other anymore. You know you could tell me anything, I'd never criticize you," I say.

"Millie, you know you would," she tells me.

"You know, you and I know how to hold a grudge for a very long time," I say, "Did he mess up or do something? I'm assuming it was him, because I mean I saw you, you were in love with him. That didn't just change from one day to the next."

I wait. Tash looks like she doesn't want to answer but I think she sees I'm genuinely trying to be a good friend.

"We had a pregnancy scare," she tells me.

What?

"We weren't," she says, "but he said it made him realize he didn't want a future with me."

"He said that?" I ask.

"I guess it happens, right?"

"I wish you'd told me," I add.

"Like you told me?" she asks.

Ouch.

"Okay, I deserved that," I answer, "I only meant so that I could be there for you as a friend."

"Come on Millie, we all have our secrets. Ironic isn't it? My ex-boyfriend ends up being as much of a jerk as yours. We sure know how to pick them," she responds.

"My situation was different. Gabriel didn't-"

"Don't defend him Millie, that's just sad," says Tash, "Sean, Gabriel, they're all the same."

"I'm not defending him," I tell her, "Gabriel would never- "

"Leave you?," Tash asks, "He did girl."

The truth is never explained anything to Tash. It's not her fault she only knows part of the story. Which explains why she thinks so little of Gabriel and of me but that part she's leaving out.

"Unfortunately for us, we had similar taste. Finger crossed we do better next time," she replies.