Chapter 46: One Day

We go to Gabriel's parent's house after the cemetery. Jackie ends up showing up not long after.

"I've been waiting for you to come to your aunt's house. Are you not going?" Jackie asks Gabriel.

"I was showing Amelia some pictures of Matt," he replied.

"That's fine," Jackie responds, "but are you going to see the rest of the family though?"

"I think I've seen enough depressed people for today. We're going to head back," Gabriel answers.

"What? No. Stay," says Jackie.

"We really weren't planning on it," Gabriel tells her.

"You just got here," his mom tells him.

"I don't really feel like seeing everyone," Gabriel explains.

"Okay, wait. How about this? I will go back, say my goodbyes and thank people for coming. Then I'll be back. I'll say I'm not feeling well. I'll make something up," Jackie says.

"Don't do that. Go be with the family," Gabriel replies.

"You are my family. I want to see you or maybe you can see some of your friends and I can spend time with Amelia," Jackie explains.

"She has things to do back home. Don't you?" Gabriel turns to me and Jackie follows.

"I can move things around," I say.

Jackie lights up, "See? Amelia is okay with it."

"We didn't bring anything. Amelia doesn't even have any clothes besides what she's wearing because we weren't going to spend the night," Gabriel states.

"Really Gabriel, you can't let her borrow something to sleep in? Or I can lend her something of mine," she details.

Gabriel is shaking his head in response.

"Jackie, could I have a minute with him please?" I ask.

She nods and whispers to me, "Please convince him."

I wait until she's out of hearing distance, "Why are you being so difficult?"

"Why are you going along with it?" he questions.

"She just wants to see you a bit longer. She misses you," I tell him.

"We said here and back in one day. Why can't we stick to that?" he asks.

"Why can't you just give her what she wants? She's all but begging you to be stay near because she needs you. Can't you see that? Give her one day. That's all she's asking for," I reply.

"Fine. We leave first thing in the morning," he says.

"Agreed," I answer.

"You win," Gabriel tells Jackie.

"Great," Jackie says, "I'll be back in one hour at the most."

I get to see more of Gabriel's relationship with his parents. Gabriel, like his father, says as little as possible. I now see where Gabriel gets his demeanor. Jackie has such a such a kindness to her. Even on a day like today, when she needs her family around, Jackie gives up time with them for one person she loves the most: Gabriel. I can't help but think that must be why Gabriel is closer to her.

Gabriel does end up deciding to go see some friends. I suspect he's had enough family time at this point.

"There are pajamas in my room. T-shirt and sweats on the bed," he explains.

"Thank you," I reply.

"I'll see you later then," he says.

"Be careful," I say, more out of habit than anything else.

"Always am," he responds.

A few hours after that, Jackie called it a night. I take a shower and return to the living room with my bag. I pull out my journal and pen and begin to write. I had a feeling I would need it. There's so much on my mind. From learning of Matthew to seeing where Gabriel grew up to ending a day that I hope will be the end of this chapter for me.