Chapter 19: Puzzles

I open my eyes and know what happened the night before. I sit up and push my blankets aside. I knew it. Last night I was wearing shorts and a tank. Right now, it's jeans, a zipped hoodie and my converse. Not again. I look over to the couch a few feet away and see that Gabe is still asleep. Having a couch in the room was my mom's idea. We told ourselves it would be a good investment that would really end up paying for itself; it has. These days, Gabe's been using it more than anyone else. It's mostly on the nights that Tash stays at Sean's or goes home which has been a lot lately since her parents are only about 40-minute drive away. Normally I wouldn't agree to this kind of arrangement, but with most everyone still being home for winter break, our block has been lonelier than usual. I also started working at the restaurant where Tash works over the break and like having Gabe here on lazy mornings. My attempt to quietly search for my phone is unsuccessful. Gabe wakes up.

"What are you doing?" he asks.

Busted!

"Morning," I say.

"Where you going?" he adds.

I walk over to the couch and sit next to him, "Nowhere."

"Liar," he smiles.

"I'm not lying."

"Why are you dressed?" his eyes still adjusting to the brightness of the room.

"Will you please do me a favor?" I ask, "Could you call my phone? I can't find it."

"Wasn't it on the desk?" he recalls.

"It was. Past tense."

I watch him make the call and we hear a buzzing. Behind the closet door I find my cell phone. First thing I do is review my recent calls and texts. The fact that there are no new calls or messages lessens my worry. I know Gabe is watching me, so I immediately turn the attention to something else.

"Feel like going out for breakfast today?" I ask.

"Now? It's early still," he says.

"It's eight," I inform him.

"Let's get a few more hours," he suggests.

"I didn't mean this minute. You take a few more hours. Take the bed if you want," I offer.

"Come lie down with me."

"I'm awake," I remind him, "and I'm not tired."

"I know. That's why I asked," he smiles.

"What are you suggesting?" I ask.

I watch him try to stay awake, but his eyes are losing the fight. He looks so comfy I regret making noise to begin with.

"You sleep. I take longer showering and getting ready anyway."

"Aren't you ready?" he points to my outfit.

"Not quite," I answer.

He stretches, and I can't help thinking how cute he looks with his morning hair. I always feel bad when he sleeps on the couch or at least like I owe him. For the record, I know I don't. Gabe stays because he wants to, but I do feel a little guilty that our arrangement as my idea. Then I think about last night. I really want to ask if he saw anything, but there's no way I can say anything without him realizing what I'm doing. I decide to risk it.

"Hey, did you notice anything last night?" I ask.

"Like what?" he wonders.

"Like anything," I leave it open ended.

"You have to be more specific."

"Did you see me get up?" I'm specific.

"No. Did you?"