Chapter 56: GIRL EMERGENCY WINE

"Group project yay!" Serena says sarcastically during our break in film class, "Don't you love those?"

"Not a bit," I answer.

"Right?" she responds.

"You can do most of the work on your own," I say, "Only the end product has to include everyone else's part."

"Wonder who we'll get stuck with," Serena surveys the room.

"We'll find out next week," I tell her, "At least we finally got to film noir."

"Agreed. I'm telling you, after Mulholland Drive I'm questioning her taste," Serena comments.

I laugh.

"I could not for the life of me figure that one out!" she replies.

"I don't think anyone could," I say.

"That makes me feel better," she adds.

"On a different note, I almost called you a few days ago," I tell Serena.

"You did? Miss me, did you?" she lights up.

"I was kind of in need of some girl talk," I admit.

"Wanna go to the café?" she asks.

"It might take more than a few minutes." I say.

"Then we'll skip the second part of class and stream the movie another day," she replies.

"Why?" I ask.

"Because now I'm curious Amelia," she answers, "and there is always time for girl talk."

We don't go to the café. Instead end up at the apartment. Serena and I are in the living room sitting on the floor, when Tash comes home.

"Hello," Tash says, clearly still assessing the situation.

"Hi," I respond, "This is my friend Serena."

"Nice to meet you," says Serena.

"You too," replies Tash.

Tash then sees the bottle on the coffee table and wine glasses in our hands. She gasps.

"Millie you're drinking without me?" Tash asks.

"There's a glass here waiting for you. I thought you'd be home a lot sooner. I left you a voicemail," I answer.

"You know I hate listening to those," Tash says, "You have to message 'GIRL EMERGENCY WINE,' and I'll show up."

"I've never sent you a message like that," I say.

"Exactly! It would get my attention and I would drop everything and get in my car," Tash reasons.

"Alright, now I know," I reply, "Care to join us?"

"Obviously," Tash says as she starts filling up her glass, "What are we discussing?"

"We're bashing the opposite sex," answers Serena.

"I'm in," replies Tash, "Who's turn is it?"

"It can be yours if you want," responds Serena.

"Okay," Tash starts, "You think you know a guy because you gave him four years of your life. You think clearly the two of you are good together. Then something, that really shouldn't be that scary if you love each other, scares him away. Millie knows. One day he was just done. Now that love is hate because that bastard was lying to me for years."

"You should count your lucky stars," Serena tells her.

"Did you not hear what I just said?" Tash asks Serena.

"Yes, I did, and the last thing you want is a guy that runs when things get complicated. Let him go find another girl that wants a weak man."

"You are so right," Tash replies to Serena then looks at me and adds, "I like her."

"I do to," I respond.

My phone rings. It's Preston.

"Hey you," I answer.

"How would you like to help me out with something?" Preston asks.

"With what?" I wonder.

"I want to buy a table for the dining area I'm not currently using, will help me decide on one?" he asks.

"I don't know why you would ask me. You're the one that should like it, it'll be at your place not mine," I tell Preston.

"I could use a second opinion," he replies, "maybe Saturday?"

"Okay, sure. I have to go though, I've got Tash and another friend here with me," I say.

"Okay," he says.

"I'll call you later," I say before ending the call.

"I think Millie is next," Tash says when I hang up.

"What do you want to know?" I ask.

"How's is your love life going?" Tash asks.

"Well," I begin, "to be honest this was something I wanted for a long time when I first met Preston. He was amazing to me. Still is sometimes. Only now, they are days he seems so ordinary. I question what I'm doing a lot."

"Why?" asks Tash.

"I idolized him for most of that time I've known him, which is nobody's fault but my own. The last couple years he didn't even cross my mind. If he did, he was just someone I use to know. Nothing else," I answer.

"You were over him," says Serena.

"I thought so," I say.

"What changed?" asks Tash.

"Out of the blue he was there. Maybe it was a rebound thing. He had a broken engagement. My world was sort of falling apart. Maybe we were lonely. Maybe it made us feel good to have somebody from before. There are times I don't think we fit together anymore. Sometimes I think we might never be what the other needs."

"Are you going to break up?" Serena asks.

"I just know he wants someone who isn't me and there are times when I want someone else," I admit.

"Like Gabriel?" asks Serena.

"You were talking about Gabriel?" asks Tash, "Do not go back to your ex Millie, we never stoop that low."

"You two totally have something," Serena comments, "I told you that first day."

"We don't," I reply.

"Do you really think he deserves another chance?," Tash asks Serena.

"I think it only matters what Amelia thinks," says Serena.

"Nobody is asking for a second chance," I say, "We're done. I accepted it but seeing him again brought back a lot of memories."

"You should talk to him," replies Serena.

"I have," I respond, "We caught up the other day,"

"What?" asks Tash.

"It was a conversation. Calm down Tash," I tell her, "He is so over me."

"Gabriel said that?" Tash asks.

"We don't belong together anymore," I say.

"Good. You need to aim higher," replies Tash.

"I mean an honest talk in which you two are not pretending to be over each other," says Serena.

"I vote someone new," says Tash.

Talking with Tash and Serena as strange as it sounds, felt like old times. The next day, I break up with Preston.