Chapter 44

FLASHBACK

FLASHBACK

I stormed into Aleksei's office angrily, "What the hell is your problem?"

He blinked in surprise as I interrupted him in the middle of his phone call and held up a finger as a signal for me to wait before I exploded any further, "Alpha Laurel, I apologize but I will have to call you back."

He hung up, and I slammed a hand on his desk, "Why didn't you approve the plans?"

"Why?" He asked, raising his eyebrows almost incredulously, "Are you asking me why I didn't legalize abuse?"

"It's not abuse. It's discipline," I snapped, irritated with his tone, "And it's the only way anyone will ever take you seriously. You're too lenient."

He was in up in a flash, "What are you saying?"

"You're weak," I spat, "You have to be able to put fear in people with just your name."

I knew my words were harsh, but he refused to accept my input and that pissed me off. My role as his Beta was to help him turn in the right direction. 

"Oh, and you would be able to do that? You're just a Beta," he snarled, shoving me back. 

"I'd be twice the Alpha you are. My title might be Beta, but my blood is Alpha."

His face morphed into a harsh glare as he bared his teeth at me, "Is that a challenge?"

"Yes, it is. What? Don't think you can handle it?" I mocked as he got in my face.

He raised his fist–

END OF FLASHBACK

"Alrik?"

I blinked and stared at the ground, feeling a sense of shame as I recalled our fight. 

"Alrik, is that you? Is everything alright?" Aleksei's tone shifted to concern, and it furthered the guilt that was burning in the pit of my stomach. 

After the way we had left things, his first thought was my well-being.

 "Everything's fine. I just–I–"

A pair of arms curled around my stomach from behind, and I exhaled deeply as Jaslynn quietly comforted me, encouraging me to continue and not just hang up.

"I wanted to talk, but if it's late, I can call you back if you'd like," I said, but quickly adding, "Or not if you don't want to speak to me. I understand."

"No, no, we can talk now," he rushed out as if he was nervous as well, "I'm not that tired anyway."

There were a few moments of silence as if we were both trying to catch up with reality. Hearing his voice after so long made me feel like it was a dream. It was just as commanding as I remembered.