Chapter 45

The next morning, I was awoken by a hand massaging the back of my neck gently and stroking the top of my back that was exposed

My eyes fluttered open, and I found Alrik sitting up with his back against the headboard as he stared down at me. He pulled a strand of my hair away from my face, and his lips curled into a small smile, "Morning."

"Morning. How long have you been awake?" I asked, sitting up and rubbing my eyes tiredly.

"For a while," he muttered, hauling me up and over to straddle his legs. I furrowed my eyebrows at his bloodshot eyes and cupped his face, "Did you get any sleep last night?"

"I had a bad dream," he sighed, admitting it reluctantly, "About Aleksei."

My heart dropped to the pit of my stomach.

"What kind?"

"You thought Aleksei was better-looking and decided to have a threesome with him and his mate."

I blinked once. Then twice. But the expression on his face was one of a man who was extremely tramautized, and I couldn't help but burst into laughter.

"This isn't funny," Alrik snapped, glaring at me as I almost fell off his lap from laughter, "It was terrible. I almost had to watch it happen, but I woke up."

I pursed my lips to contain my snickering, but it was difficult to hold it in when his ears were turning red, "I thought it would be something serious like you and Aleksei having another fight. Not a threesome with him and his mate whom we haven't even met."

"I don't even know," he grumbled, raking a hand through his hair, "I think my nervousness about seeing him transported into my dreams and created the worst nightmare I have ever had."

I grabbed his face between my hands and stroked his cheekbones with thumbs lightly, "If it makes you feel any better, I don't like threesomes or taken men or anyone who isn't you."

Alrik rolled his eyes at my amused tone and leaned forward to kiss my forehead, "Please don't tell anyone about this. I'll never hear the end of it."

"You'll be lucky if I don't make at least one wisecrack about it when Aleksei arrives," I said, giving him a devilish smile as he groaned and rested his head on my shoulder.

"I really don't like you."

"This is payback for the number of jokes you made about my species. I haven't forgiven you for the broomstick-in-my-anus jab."

He raised his head and gave me a sweet peck on the lips, "Am I forgiven now?"

"Nope."

Another kiss.

"How about now?"

I almost wanted to sigh out loud. Despite the fact that we were acting like teenagers, he made my heart flutter more than a hummingbird's wings with his cute gestures. It also didn't help that he was a sight to behold in the morning – shirtless with messy hair, and a shadow of stubble that tickled me every time his cheek brushed against my skin.