Chapter 47

FLASHBACK

FLASHBACK

"Your dad is taking a nap upstairs," my mother said, ruffling our hair, "You should go surprise him."

Aleksei tried to discreetly put a spoonful of the beef gravy into his mouth, but my mother noticed and snatched the spoon from him, causing him to smile innocently, "Right, we'll go wake him up now, mama."

We trudged up the stairs and entered my parent's bedroom quietly, where my father was snoring like a broken lawnmower. 

I winced as it got louder for a moment before he snorted and went back to his hoarse wheezes. Aleksei patted my shoulder and pointed to the other side of the bed, and we approached him from either side and leaned over his body.

I grabbed his arm and shook him gently, "Dad?"

"Wha–" his eyes fluttered open, and he blinked a couple of times, "Alrik?"

Then, his gaze traveled to Aleksei, "Aleksei?"

"Yes, old man. It's me. Your–"

I slapped Aleksei upside his head, and my father's eyes darted to me, and he breathed out in disbelief, "Alrik?"

He started breathing heavily as he turned his head side to side, gaping at our faces. His hands suddenly gripped each of our chins, and once he had confirmed that both of us were really there, he whispered, "Am I in heaven? Did I die in my sleep?"

"Papa, if you died, you'd be going to hell with the rest of us," Aleksei said, patting my father's hand comfortingly, "It's alright. We'll join you soon."

Instead of chastising my brother, my father began to smile as if he was in a daze, "My pups are in the same room, and there's no blood."

"Yeah, Alrik's not on his period for once."

"Are you really the older one? You act like an adolescent."

"I just don't have a stick up my ass consta–"

"My pups!" My father exclaimed, taking us by surprise as he tugged our heads into his embrace. 

He trembled a little as he kissed the tops of our hair and ruffled it, "I haven't held the two of you in my arms since you were little pups."

"This is too much mushiness for my liking," Aleksei muttered from my father's armpit.

Before any of us could reply, my phone vibrated in my pocket, and I pulled away to answer.

"Jaslynn? Everything alright, kroshka?"

There was no reply, but I could hear her sniffling before she released a loud sob.

My heart nearly stopped, and I quickly got up and started walking out of the room with my father  and Aleksei in tow, "Kroshka, what's wrong?"