Chapter 12

"Why can't we rewrite the stars?"
-The Greatest Showman

-------------

He was just sitting on the sofa staring at me. The look of anger in his eyes from earlier was no longer present. Instead he had a look of regret.

He started walking towards me causing me to panic. I quickly acted on impulse and ran to my room. I locked the door and sat down on the floor.

He really scares me now. The look he had in his eyes will never leave my head. And I was doing so good too. I forgot about my worst nightmares for almost two days now. I got myself a job and everything. Now they're back in my head.

"Open up NOW"

He said as he banged on the door. Tears started running down my face as I remembered that's what my foster farther would always say when he comes home.

Everytime I heard his car I would run in my room and lock the door. I would put a while bunch of things in front of it to stop him from raping me.

I want to succeed so bad but it seems like everytime I take ten steps forward I get pushed a thousand steps back.

"Come on, please open up"

I moved from the door and went to sit on my bed. I laid my head in my palm and started crying again. Maybe I shouldn't have ran away from New York.

The panic attacks, the flashbacks, not feeling save, and fearing the man in charge. All those things happened in New York and it's currently happening now.

It's like I ran from a toxic place just for me to go to another toxic place.

"I'm sorry for screaming at you"

He said after minutes of silence. I could feel his presence behind the door. He kept on telling me to open the door for him but I just covered myself with my blanket and laid in bed.

Don't open the door Ruby. This isn't the first time you've been in this situation. He'll hurt you the moment you open the door.

All this anxiety shit got me stressed. I need a nap.

I woke up from my nap thirty minutes later. I was fully refreshed and ready to eat dinner. No banging on my door was heard so I guess he went home.

I changed into my cotton shorts and a white tank top that I found in my closet when I moved in. Now that I think about it half the clothes in my closet isn't mine. Most of them still have the price tag on it.

After I took off my bra I put on the clothes and unlocked the door. The moment I opened the door a body dropped on my foot. I let out a loud scream causing him to wake up.

"Mr. Cruz why are you still here?"

"I'm sorry Ruby"

Ruby? I didn't know we we're on first name bases now. I backed up into my room, giving him space to stand up.

His eyes were a soft brown that sparkled the more I looked into them. They didn't scare me anymore.

"I forgive you. You can leave now it's getting late"

I said as I walked around him. I went into the kitchen and rummaged through the fridge for some food. His presence made me uncomfortable and very nervous.

I turned around and he was just staring at me. He didn't move or blink not once. It's like he was a statute or a painting.

"Yes Mr. De La Cruz?"