Chapter 32

"Would you let me see beneath your beautiful?"
- Labrinth, Emily Sandé

——————-

Ruby's POV

It's been a month since I broke up with Aaron and I couldn't be happier. With him gone I got to focus more on my work which provided me with more money.

The moment we broke up he went out with his assistant. He had the nerve to tell me since he was fucking his assistant there wasn't a way in hell I wasn't fucking Mr. Cruz.

After I slapped the hell out of him, I threw hot coffee in his face then, I stapled his tie to the wall. I was going to continue my assault but, Noah walked out of his office.

Aaron stayed on the wall all day. He only got removed from the wall when the janitor came to clean the office at around twelve in the morning.

After that incident, Aaron hasn't bothered me. He doesn't even look my way anymore and I'm happy. His constant staring and winks had tired me out.

The banquet I was supposed to plan is already done. I have the caters booked, the venue is decorated, and I sent the invitation out to the guests.

Mr. Cruz hasn't seen the work I've done yet since he's always busy. The banquet is tonight and I'm slightly nervous. I don't know how the night is going to turn out.

You get a lot of work done when the dead weight is gone.

"Are you ready for tonight? I'm ready to throw that ass back on my man"

Yolanda said as she started twerking. She's been dating this mystery guy for months now and I still haven't figured out who it is. The only hint she gave me was that he works in our office.

She's always on the phone with him during our lunch break too. I know for a fact that his name starts with the letter 'N'. She was going to say his name but then she realized I was sitting next to her.

Once she accidentally put her feet in her salad because she was so into their conversation. That's the kind of relationship I want. I want to do dumb things while I'm talking on the phone with you.

I haven't had one of those calls in a while.

"Yeah, I guess so. I don't really feel like going because I'm binge-watching 'All American'. I have to go since I'm Mr. Cruz's assistant though"

"I mean maybe it's for the better. You're on the market so maybe you could find yourself someone special"

"I think I'll just stay single for a while. I don't want a relationship to define me"

She nodded her head as she ate her salad. She claims she's trying to be healthy but, I don't buy it. She sprinkled a whole bag of hot chips on top of the salad to add a pop of color.

I was going to sneak into my office as an attempt to escape Mr. Cruz but, it didn't work. He was sitting on my chair as I crawled my way in my office. When I noticed he was there I quickly got up and dusted myself off.

"Hiding from someone Ms. Carter?"

"No, I just dropped my vibrator and now I'm looking for it?"

I said in a questioning manner. Out of all the things I could've said I decided on 'I was looking for my vibrator'. Maybe I need to head back to church.

"I sure hope you're playing dumb"

He whispered as he walked out of my office. I followed him to his office with a scowl on my face. If he's trying to make me look dumb it's not going to work.