Chapter 14

"Smile now, cry later"
-2pac

---------------

Ruby's POV

Waking up for work is tiring as hell. It's Friday and I couldn't be happier.

It's been a couple of days since Mr. Cruz made me think we had sex. I've been mute ever since. Every time he tells me to do something I just nod my head and do it.

The fact that he made me belive that a tragic part of my childhood came true was messed up. Even though he didn't know he shouldn't joke about things like that.

Since today is casual day I had a little extra pep in my step. I've been ready to show up and show out since Monday.

After I took care of business I went in my closet and picked out a white off the shoulder sweater, blue ripped jeans, and white Pumas. I paired that with a gold watch, a gold necklace, and a brown purse.

 I paired that with a gold watch, a gold necklace, and a brown purse

Yolanda was supposed to give me a ride today so I'm waiting for her. If that pervert come pick me up instead I'm flying out the window.

I'll have a car in about two months and I'll make sure of it. Since I'm not paying rent I put half of my paycheck in my savings account.

I heard a knock on my door causing me to sprint out of my room and quickly go open the door. Standing there was Yolanda with a huge smile on her face.

"Hi girly"

She said as she attacked me in a hug. Since my wig wasn't secure yet I lead her into my new place. Her mouth dropped as she examined the place.

"Girl this place looks amazing. How much does it cost?"

"Thank you. It cost me about five thousand dollars a month"

Even though we're friends she doesn't have to know all my business. This condo was for free and I wasn't about to lose it because of my mouth.

"How did you find this place?"

"Mr. De La Cruz owns this whole building. He told me that most of the people from work has a apartment here so I took this one"

I said. I wasn't lying about that part. He did own the building and he did tell me that most of my coworkers live here.

"Who told you that?" Yolanda said while laughing.

"Mr. De La Cruz?"

I said sounding more of a question then a statement. I don't understand why this is so funny.

"Girl he would never let his employees live in this apartment. He doesn't like mixing his employees at De la Cruz inc with his other employees. Trust me I know him"

Then I'm confused. How did I get this place free of charge? He basically told me that he gives away free condos all the time.

On the car ride to work all I was thinking about was what Yolanda told me. But then again he said it himself. He basically felt bad for me since I was sleeping on cardboard boxes.

When we got to work I immediately went to my office and got ready to do the work that was left for me. One hour into doing my work a knock was heard at my door.

"Ms. Carter"

Aaron said standing in my doorway with a huge smile on his face. I gave him a big smile just so I can match his energy. Matching people's energy can make or break a bond.

"Yes Mr. King?"

"Do you want to go out for lunch today?"

I thought about it for a minute. I haven't eaten lunch outside of my office for days now. Not to mention that there was a whole restaurant right next door.

But I'm scared to agree to eating lunch with him. Last time I went to lunch with someone Mr. Cruz almost ate me.

You know what, YOLO.

"Sure. Just pass by when you're ready to go"

"Will do beautiful"

He said with a wink. He's such a flirt. I have to make sure that we become nothing more then friends. I don't have time for heartbreak. All I want to do is make money.

Hours later when I heard a knock on my door I knew it was time for lunch. It's either Yolanda or Aaron. I quickly got up and fixed my clothes. When I opened the door I was meet with Aaron's smiling face.

Is he always smiling?

"Are you ready to go?"

"Yes I am"

I said as I grabbed my purse. As we existed the building all I heard was whispers and mummers. I guess being seen with a fine ass man like Aaron draws attention to me.

Eating lunch with Aaron didn't go as I expected. I thought there was going to be awkward silence and lots of staring at each other. Just an overall boring time. I'm not that talkative so I guess I was going to be the problem.

But, Aaron spoke enough for the both of us. No conversation was left hanging nor did I feel bored or uninterested in any way.

"Lunch is about to be over. Let's head back before boss man has a heart attack"

Aaron said with a laugh. I nodded my head and followed him out of the restaurant. Even while we were in the elevator the conversation didn't stop. He's just a good person to be around.

When he dropped me off at my office I had a big smile on my face. I had my leftovers from lunch in a takeout plates and I'm ready to have round two.

The moment I opened the door I was meet with an angry boss sitting at my desk. I slowly walked in and placed my things on the near by seat. I stood there and waited for him to talk or most likely scream at me.

"What's your position in this company?"

"I'm your personal assistant"

"So why weren't you in your office ready to assist me when I needed to talk to you today?"

"You do know I have the right to eat lunch right?"

I said. Every time I go out to eat lunch it seems to be a problem. He wants me to sit in my office and starve. Waiting on him hand and foot.

If he haven't noticed I'm a fatass. I have to eat my three meals a day so I could at least be the right weight for my age.

"Spending time with Mr. King isn't my idea of having a lunch break. You haven't talked to me in three days but you'll talk to Aaron like he's so important"

"All we did was eat lunch together"

"Someone sent me a picture of you guys together and you two look mighty close"

"It won't happen again sir"

I said trying to dismiss the conversation. If I let him think he won he'll hopefully leave me the hell alone. He nodded his head and walked out of my office.

Trying not to burn this place down is becoming harder as the days pass by.