Chapter 34

I didn't really know most of these stars' names, but it was cool to look at them.

"So how's things?" I asked, breaking the silence.

"What?" Tony asked.

"How. Are. Things?" I said slowly, grinning.

"Oh," Tony laughed. "Good. Why?" He raised an eyebrow at me.

"Just wondering," I said.

"Lies," Tony accused with a smile.

"No I swear! I honestly haven't seen you much, between labs, comas," I paused before adding, "You and Steve in the kitchen."

Tony blushed and looked forward.

"Sorry you had to see that," he said, scratching the back of his neck. I laughed.

"You're fine. I erased that image... Most of it," I chuckled.

Tony groaned and threw his head back.

"You guys seem happy though," I added, making Tony calm back down from his embarrassment.

"We are. I am," Tony said, quickly adding the last part.

"I'm sure Steve is too?" I said.

"He seems it, but I'm still not sure how he could love a man like me," Tony said.

I was taken back a bit, and I let it show on my face.

"What the hell is that supposed to mean? 'A man like me?'" I said, using air quotes.

"I have a bad playboy rep, I don't sleep, I'm cocky, I drink when I'm bored. I don't deserve to be with a guy like Captain America!" Tony said.

And that's the moment I knew Tony was as broken as the rest of us.

He wasn't half as bad as he made himself out to seem.

I could see him trying to blink back the tears in his eyes.

"Tony..." I started, "You are amazing! You have the brightest mind in the whole damn world, and a heart to go with it. You have more compassion in your arc reactor than all of Los Angeles does combined. You're funny, and so what if you like to drink?! It makes for a good party!"

He chuckled at the last part, and I saw his tears were gone.

"Thanks but-" Tony started.

"Nope. No 'buts.' I swear if I hear you start to disagree I will hijack your car home and leave you to walk," I threatened.

I was only half kidding.

"Fine," Tony smiled.

We walked a little while longer until my stomach growled.

"Ice cream?" Tony offered.

"Hell yeah," I said, jumping a little.

We walked until we found a Cold Stone Creamery.

"Come on this place is so basic," Tony whined.

"But it's so good!" I said, dragging him across the street.

"Fine," he subsided, as we walked through the door.

The teenage girl behind the counter jumped and squealed for a moment when she saw Tony Stark walk through the door.

"One second," she said, before running to the back room.

I heard her yell to her co-workers that Tony Stark had just walked in. She walked out, still smiling from ear to ear.

"Sorry about that," she said, "What can I get for you?"

Tony looked to me. I had no clue.

"We're still looking," Tony said for me.

"Of course. Take all the time you need," the girl said, before walking over to her phone by the register.

I was 1000% sure she was texting all her friends and family. I checked my own phone and saw that the time was 9:30.

The sign on the door said this place closes at 10:00.

Although at the rate that girl was jumping on her feet, she'd keep the place open for us all night if Tony asked her to.

"I'm gonna have the birthday cake remix," I said, picking one of their signature flavors.

I haven't had ice cream in years, but I still remembered what it tasted like. It was hard to forget the sweet creaminess of my grandma Jude's french vanilla.

Grandma Jude was a single old lady in her late 90s who lived next to me and my aunt and uncle.

She wasn't actually my grandma, but she sure felt like it. Whenever my aunt and uncle were away, she would watch me when I was little. Or whenever I wanted to talk to someone who wasn't Aunt Steph or Uncle Tom, I would go to her.

She also taught me most of my cooking and baking skills, and she made a mean apple pie, a la mode.

"Coming right up," the girl said, practically running to get my order in.

I caught a glimpse of her name tag: Ashley. She looked like an Ashley, with her fair skin and reddish/brownish hair.

It suited her.

It was a matter of seconds before I was handed a large waffle cone, lined with hardened chocolate and sprinkles, and filled over the top with ice cream.

"Anything for you Mr. Stark?" Ashley asked him.

"I'll have a coffee lovers only, dear," he said.

I rolled my eyes as I licked my ice cream.

"Of course you got the coffee flavor," I said, as Ashley worked to make it.

"I'm surprised you didn't," Tony remarked, walking over to the cash register.

Without even waiting for the actual total, he put a $50 bill on the counter.

"That should cover it love," he said to Ashley, as he was handed his cone.

"Thank you Mr. Stark!" she waved, putting the dollar bill in the machine as we walked out.

"Mmm," I hummed in satisfaction.

This tasted so good.

We walked around for a little in silence, as our mouths were preoccupied with our ice creams.

We window shopped a little, as most stores were closed at this hour.

I saw a cute dress, some new combat boots, and a leatherbound journal. Tony saw a few watches, and a new suit.

We were walking back to the car, now on the other side of the street, when Tony stopped abruptly.

"What is it?" I asked, looking into the window of the store he had stopped in front of.

A jewelry store.

"Tony you already found, like, eight watches," I laughed, until I realized that it wasn't a watch he was looking at.

There were two wedding bands, with a message on a plaque below them: love knows no limits. 

*A/N*

surprise??