Ch.41 I'm There

Two months later

I settled into a quiet routine and stayed out of the way of everyone.

The woman sent to teach me about being royalty was very strict. I could tell she was not a fan of me, she had something to critique about me all the time.

I didn't like her much either.

She picked at my quietness and refusal to speak to her as much as she could before she crossed a line of disrespect.

Malia sternly told her to watch herself before she would be dismissed.

That put some real fear in the woman and she stopped being so much of a bitch.

But I still got distasteful looks from her.

Right now she was making me have tea with her. Something Queens did apparently.

I was to sit straight upright and have my legs crossed in a ladylike fashion at all times.

She had been getting on my nerves for the whole hour. But towards the end she really made me angry.

"You must cover your hair more. You are the Princess of a Islamic nation. What will you do when you go to a mosque to pray? That is very unbecoming of a leader."

I frowned, my hair was already covered appropriately. "I am not Muslim though. I am Christian. I will respect my husband's faith and that of his country but I do not practice his religion."

"Your grandfather is Muslim, a very prominent respected individual might I add."

So. Papa never forced me to go to mosque with him. I went because I was interested in seeing the other side of my culture.

"And I was raised Christian. I am baptized as such too." I said as I turned to Malia. She was frowning deeply at the woman.

I took a deep breath and stood up. "Your services are no longer needed."

I left the room quickly and went to the library. I shrugged off the hijab then sat down in front of the piano but I couldn't bring myself to play. I was too angry.

This was my unspoken room where I came for privacy. I wasn't bothered here, especially when the door was closed.

So you can imagine my surprise twenty minutes later when the door was opened.

I spun around slightly ready to glare at who it was. But then I stopped short when I saw Cyrus step in and close the door.

"Malia informs me that you have fired Madame Muktari." He said in a cool tone. This was like the fourth time I had seen him since arriving here.

"Yes. I did. She is a bitch." I said simply.

He raised an eyebrow at my boldness.

"Be it that may. She is the best and you need to be ready to handle yourself in public events when that time comes."

I was not a show pony! I am a human being.

"She questions my faith and shames me for not being a practicing Muslim. I will cover my hair and be modest but I won't practice. I am Christian."

This was so much more about my faith. I wasn't pressed or worried that she was going to 'convert me'. I was trying to hold onto my identity. It was all I had left, everything else had been stripped of me. My life, my family, my freedom.

I was going to hold onto this.

"She makes fun of me for being quiet. I am shy, I can't help it. She is constantly rude and I won't put up with it." I said before I turned back around.