Chapter 35 ➛The Raven

My heart ached and my mind was hazy. Tom was gone, and it was because of me. If I hadn't proposed a walk through the forest, he would still be in his room, safe and sound.

Staring at the wall in front of me, I sighed and faced Grindelwald who sat behind his desk.

''We can't just wait, can we? It's torture!''

He nodded and tried to calm me down. ''He'll be OK. I'm sure,'' he said.

''What are you talking about? How can you be sure?'' Tears streamed down my face and I looked down at my hands.

I needed to contain my anger and emotions. This was not something to just cry about and hope for the best. I needed to help my little brother. If wouldn't, it would drive me crazy.

''I can't. But Tom is a special boy. He'll find a way to survive.'' I started shaking my head and sobbed.

''He's just a boy,'' I choked. Grindelwald watched me sadly and approached me to embrace me tightly.

He tried to tell me what he felt but failed. ''I know this is hard, but Tom is strong.''

''Just like you,'' he said, tightening his grip.

We were startled by soft ticks on the window. I looked over his shoulder and saw the black raven sitting on the ledge. I quickly approached it and noticed a piece of parchment in its beak.

I clumsily opened the window and the bird hopped onto the window sill. I stared at it as it dropped the note on the ground. Then it took off again, and I watched it soar away.

I ignored the open window and took the parchment from the ground.

Keeping secrets from your little brother now, are we?

If you want your life to include Tom, you should come to the lake at dawn. Come alone and don't you dare take someone with you, they'll die as soon as I lay eyes on them.

If you won't do as I say, you can wave bye-bye to your little Tommy.

I stared at it in hopelessness.

Grindelwald took it and quickly scanned the message.

I couldn't go. It was obviously a trap. But I needed to save Tom. He was my brother.

He sighed frustrated and looked outside angrily. ''That damn bastard wants a fight? Then that's what he'll get.''

I looked at him and shook my head with tears in my eyes. ''It's a trap. You'll die,'' I mumbled softly.

His expression softened and he took my hand. ''Of course, I won't die. Don't worry. Nevertheless, I want you to stay here, it's too dangerous for you to come. I don't want anything to happen to you again.''

Now I grew angry. ''I won't let you go without me. They want me to come, and nobody else. If you come along, you'll die. That's what it says!''

He shook his head. ''I won't die. The Ministry couldn't hold me, so neither will he. Trust me,'' he said softly.

I looked into his eyes and knew that arguing wouldn't work. I wouldn't win it from him.

''Fine. I'll stay here,'' I said controlling the anger that was still boiling inside of me.

''Don't worry.'' He pulled me into a hug and knew nothing of what was going to happen that night.

This must be the night of the prediction. He was going to die and I needed to save him.

He believed me when I told him I was staying at Nurmengard. But what he didn't know was that I would be there even before he came.

I had planned everything out and I was confident that everything was going to go as I wanted it to go.