The Song Remains the Same (Part 3)

The engine roared as John drove the Impala down the rural road. Inside, the tension was thick and uncomfortable.

"Monsters. Monsters?" John asked.

"Yes," Mary replied for what felt like the hundredth time.

"Monsters are real," John said to himself.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know how--"

"And you fight them? All of you?" John cut Mary off.

"Yeah," Sam answered.

"How long?" John asked Mary.

"All my life." She answered quietly. "John, just try to understand--"

"She didn't exactly have a choice--" Dean tried to help his mom out but John interrupted him.

"Shut up, all of you! Look, not another word or so help me, I will turn this car around!" John threatened.

"Wow. Awkward family road trip." Dean whispered to Sam and Maia.

"No kidding." Sam scoffed.

Maia sat in between her father and uncle, the whole ride her head had felt fuzzy and she's been trying to keep her eyes open but it was no use. After time traveling and fighting an angel, the demigod was past exhausted. 

Dean glanced down when he felt something lean against his shoulder. He could help the small smile that formed when he saw his daughter sleeping.

* * *

Just a short while later the Impala pulled up in front of an older, but not completely run down, house.

Dean didn't even have to wake Maia up because the sound of everybody else moving woke her up. It reminded the Winchester of when she was barely a toddler and every little sound would wake her up.

Mary led everybody into the old house, "Place has been in the family for years." She lifted a rug to reveal a devil's trap. "Devil's trap. Pure iron fixtures, of course. Um, there should be salt and holy water in the pantry, knives, guns."

"All that stuff will do is just piss it off," Sam warned.

"So, what will kill it? Or slow it down, at least?" Mary asked.

"Not much." Sam sighed.

"Great." Mary scoffed.

"He said not much, not nothing. We packed." Dean held up his duffel bag as he walked to the dining room table with everybody following. "If we put this up... and she comes close, we beam her right off the starship." Dean held up a paper with the angel banishing sigil drawn on it.

Sam grabbed a pitcher from the bag. "This is holy oil. It's kind of like a-- like a devil's trap for angels. Come on. I'll show you how it works." Sam and Mary left the room leaving only Dean, Maia, and John.

"Hey, what's the deal with the thing on the paper?" John questioned.

"It's a sigil. That means--"

"I don't care what it means. Where does it go?" John cut Maia off.

"On a wall or a door," Dean spoke up.

"How big should I make it?" John asked.

"John..." Dean trailed off.

"What? Y'all might have treated me like a fool,  but I am not useless. I can draw a damn... whatever it is-- a sigil." John ranted.

"Why don't you go help Sam out? Okay, 'cause this has got to be done in... it's got to be done in human blood." Dean informed.