41.[Where She is Back at the Beginning, Only with an Alternate Ending]

Phoebe | At the house that same night

"It's okay Brent. " I sighed finally breaking the silence in the bathroom as I washed and scrubbed the blood from under his fingernails with new toothbrush. "You didn't mean for it to look the way it did, and I will remind Kaitlyn of that everyday." I promised.

He looked so distraught, especially after Kaitlyn cried herself to sleep. He didn't even answer me. "Why would anybody want to hurt Clemisol Brent?"

He looked at me in the most unconcerned way I have ever encountered with him. Pulling away his hands and washing them himself in the sink. "That's the point Phoebe. Nobody is just gonna kill a dog like that unless they're trying to send a message." He slightly closed in the bathroom door, towering over me.

"Phoebe, you need to tell August about the letters."

I sighed. "Yeah, I know. The thing about them is they always popped up in a creepy way and they could be from anybody."

He sighed. "You kill me with this. You know they're from bitch ass Malcolm."  I folded my arms thinking about the fact that I hadn't told anyone about seeing Malcolm the same night I caught August in the Hotel.

"Of course he's the first person that popped into my mind Brent, but I don't want to risk taking it to the police and accusing him, only for the cops to start thinking I have a vendetta against him and then boom it's not even him." I tried to explain.

"Phoebe, this man sexually assaulted you, peed on you and should've been charged with battery for what he did. Did you forget what he did to your face?" He lowly argued, trying not to get August's attention.

"I knowwww Brent. All I'm saying is that we need more evidence. The police are just going to turn us back, it's just letters saying you'll always be mind. Now in a sadistic sick way, we know what that means, but to the cops it means nothing. We have to play our cards right, that's exactly why I'm not telling August. He tries to take matters into his own hands and fucks everything up illegally.  Whoever did it traumatized my daughter and even you, so now this is checkers not chess.  We going to report this incident to the police and that's it." I explained thinking of all the times I went about things the wrong way, this time I wanted to do it right.  "Plus he doesn't know where we live now. How would he kill Clem?"

He went quiet for a while, just thinking. "That's a good point but still, I'm going to amp the security system tomorrow,  you can't trust nobody now Phoebe.  I did a background check on all your friends, and even that nigga Deshawn, he don't have it in him. He's a punk. "

I chuckled. "Well that's extreme, why?"

"Because Phoebe, you have two kids. People out here are sick, and after what happened with Heather, I can't take any chances. Where I come from that's like an omen. Killing somebody dog man..." He blew off. "That's fucking personal."

A slight knock hit the door, before August pushed it back. "Wassup, with y'all all hugged up in the bathroom. You tryna steal my girl Brent?" He joked.

I slightly laughed as Brent dried his hands. "Your girl? I guess y'all not fighting anymore."

The room fell silent as I quickly walked away into the kids' bedroom. Turning on the night light.

"Kaitlyn still sleeping with a night light?" He asked and pushed my hair behind my ears nodding. "You know after the whole nightmare phase."

He smiled, walking up to me with his hands in his pockets.

"I can't go to New Orleans with you Aug. I promised my friends that we would go on that trip, and i just feel like this is something I wanna do for me.." I sighed. "I'm sorry , for initiating sex with you. I was horny, and I wasn't thinking straight. The last thing i want or need in my life right now is to receive or send mixed signals. You got and see Sneak, he needs you."