I Know What You Did Last Summer Pt. 3 - Shawn

Something changed. I had always been comfortable with girls, not in a cocky and arrogant way, but I understood the emotions and sensitivities about girls and what they felt. I pinned it on growing up with a little sister, a good relationship with my mom and lots of younger girl cousins. So, when Camila came along, I knew that we had a strong enough friendship to navigate launching a song together and performing night after night. I never felt pressured by other guys about our friendship, although I could see the way they would stare at her, talk to her, hug her. I told myself it wasn't a big deal because she was my friend. I knew that I was lying to myself. But it couldn't be any more, I knew that.

Until James Corden happened.
Damn James Corden.

We weren't exactly skirting around the subject, but Camila and I had never kissed, never lingered too long in a hug, never looked at each other with too many other intentions. We enjoyed hanging out as friends. But when James Corden ripped the carpet from underneath us and we both gave different answers to that dreaded question, I knew I was screwed.

"He friend-zones me! He calls me 'Kid'!" She said it with such horror that I couldn't believe this was happening. Me, friendzone her?! Seriously, was this happening? She was gorgeous, funny and incredibly talented. I didn't realise she saw it in like that, that I was the one hesitating, but either way – it was like a cannonball in my gut. Something changed.

After the show, we both felt a bit embarrassed, hugging for slightly longer than normal and giving each other a slight squeeze; "Don't worry Shawnito, he just did it to get his ratings up!" She said to me, much quieter than normal, before she left for the day. I stared after her.

I'd known for a while that I wanted to kiss her. I held back because of fear, because I knew I wanted to carry on hanging out with her as more than just friends – but wouldn't that just mess things up?