Perfectly Wrong - Shawn

Ooh na na na. That damn song was everywhere. I watched as Camila, in a ridiculous red jump-suit that made her look like the salsa dancing emoji, strutted her Havana-singing self across the stage. She was the Artist of the Year at an award show we were at and had the top honour of performing the biggest set. Everyone wanted to be with her, talk to her, have photos taken with her – and not just the fans. These were our fellow artists. These were people interested in more collaborations, more songs, more of her. From the background, I could see what was happening, but I was there the whole time, supporting her from the crowds, grabbing a couple of good luck hugs between shows or awards; whatever I could to be close to her.

I was overjoyed at her success and I loved the song but hated how much I missed her throughout it all. Gone was the stage-fright and shaky vocals from Toronto, just a couple of months ago. The Latin-Sass-Camila was back with a vengeance and although it made me happy to see her so strong, I felt dead inside. Canadian fury indeed.

So I did what any self-serving, 19-year-old guy would do to help me get through it. I started hanging out with the 'cool kids'. And that's when I got involved with a girl. A girl, I knew would be wrong for me. Perfectly wrong for me.

Justin Bieber had been my idol as a kid. I knew his songs backwards – my fellow Canadian crooner. Somehow, starting to date (if that's what we call what we did) his ex-girlfriend, didn't feel like a betrayal. It just felt like I was honouring his taste in life.

Tall, confident, gorgeous. She knew exactly what she was doing every time we went back to hotel rooms together. I was floored by how I started to feel around her. I told myself it was ok, I needed to get away from the Camila-craze and to find someone who wanted me back.

And boy did Hailey want me. But only when she wasn't still texting her impossibly famous-ex.