I Have Questions - Shawn

I knew Camila was always writing songs. It was how we started IKWYDLS – she just kept throwing out line after line after line. She was so incredible at it too. We'd text each other drafts of songs, sing them to each other on the phone when we were apart, laugh at how ridiculous the whole situation was. Christmas was always a time I would reconnect with my family in Toronto and a time when I usually wrote my best lines. It seemed we shared this need.

When she called one day just before the festive season, in tears - I knew something had changed. I found out that the Fifth Harmony group had put out a nasty and one-sided account of the band breaking up. More than that, Camila was painted as the villain in their story. It was bitchy, unnecessary and immature. I was a sea of rage that day.
Camila, in a way that is so unique to her and the ocean of emotions she feels; didn't know her up from down, her right from wrong. She doubted herself and beat herself up about the whole thing – there was little I could do except remind her day in and day out, that she has what it takes. We spoke every day and I felt myself falling deeper and deeper with each phone call.

A few weeks later, she told me her first album was in the works. She'd written songs until they were pouring out of her. I'm ashamed to say, I was a bit scared for her – I remembered how I felt when my music first started appearing. She wanted the world to know she felt it, how she felt it all.

And damn did her first song prove that. I was blown away, quite literally. My blood was thrilled by her first music video and the intensity of her voice, her lyrics. I knew in that moment, I couldn't ever let her go, romantically or as a friend – my very core belonged somehow to this beautiful soul.