Work from Home - Camila

Things got unbearably difficult with the girls from Fifth Harmony after my collaboration with Shawn. Not only did they tease me endlessly for; "...stringing poor Shawny Boy along", but they seriously started making me question my validity as an artist. IKWYDLS kept performing well on the charts, but they made sure that I knew, it was only because Shawn was in it that it even continued being relevant. Every day with them was a struggle, but I knew my career would do better if I just stuck it out. Then Work from Home hit.

The song was doing so well, we were performing everywhere, I forgot that I was miserable for a while. Hanging out with the girls outside of work hours wasn't an option anymore so I started spending more time with the other artists at events and shows. I was making friends with talented writers, producers and singer/songwriters that meant I could get through the days ok.

It wasn't until IKWYDLS went platinum that I realised; I'd missed Shawn more than I could express. Seeing him at awards shows wasn't the same, we would only have a few minutes together. At this point, I was confident in saying that he was one of my best friends. But somehow, I knew something had seriously changed for him. When we got our platinum plaques, he was cocky and arrogant – something I wasn't used to him being. I thought I'd messed something up, I wracked my brain trying to figure it out. I wanted to hang out with him, find out what was happening in his life, goof around with him like we used to. My nerves got the better of me and I never confronted him about it, but I felt lost and scared.

Maybe the Fifth Harmony girls were right, the song reached platinum because of him. Work From Home was doing well because of the other band members. I wasn't a good enough artist to do this solo. Maybe I'd just do artist collaborations for the rest of my days, maybe I wouldn't bother writing anymore at all. And maybe it was for the best that Shawn was moving on musically too.

That's when Colson happened. Machine Gun Kelly, my manager later told me, wanted to Collab with me. He was strange, charismatic and a bit intimidating but talented and super confident, I was drawn to him.