In the Dark - Camila

Havana wasn't slowing down and the label wanted to ride the tailcoats of the hype as much as possible by releasing the rest of my album at the start of the new year. I wasn't sure my music was ready. There were a few songs I'd submitted that were good but almost too real, too heartfelt. Two in particular – where the people that the songs were about would know it almost immediately. When I told my manager as much, he told me that being an artist required baring your soul to the fans.

It didn't feel right, releasing songs about people without them knowing. I owed Shawn an explanation at least – he'd take one look at the lyrics and know which one was about him. I called him to explain that I wanted his feedback on my full album, the week before launch.

It was Christmas time and I knew he'd be home with his family. At first, he was surprised to hear from me, which made no sense. We were still friends – we hung out backstage at awards shows and still talked about each other during interviews, I couldn't work out what he was feeling strange about.

I sent him the album anyway. I got a call back a day later – a whole day of me sitting in the bathroom, retching with nerves because I hadn't heard from him. I didn't realise his opinion mattered so much. He had a life, I told myself. A career! He couldn't just drop everything and listen to hours of my music.

But when I answered, his first words to me made me cry with happiness; "Camilita, this album is going to make history."