Lights On Pt.2 - Camila

I finished my set and walked back over to my family, Matthew and Shawn. There seemed to be a bit of nervous tension in the group, but they immediately lit up when I came over, praising the sequence. When we were done talking about it, I asked Shawn if I could walk back to his studio to hear how his rehearsal was going. The others made an excuse to grab some food and meet me later. I walked arm in arm with Shawn back to the main stage, where a Baby Grand piano was lit up. I bounded over to it and started playing a few keys.

"So dare I ask, how are rehearsals going with Smiley Miley?" I teased, still playing the piano. He leaned up against the other side, both hands spread out and his head dropped when he sighed, "Honestly, it's a nightmare". I stopped playing and waited for him to carry on. "She wants to do the main guitar part, but her range won't allow it, but she won't accept alternative solutions either. It's like two alpha males trying to rule the same territory." He shook his head in frustration.

He carried on, talking me through his rehearsals and what they planned for the set, I could sense his nervousness and anxiety about the situation and didn't blame him, it sounded like there was a lot of bullying going around, something I had lots of experience with. Before long, I blurted out; "You should lead the song and start the set, it's your song after all."

He simply smiled and shook his head as he sat down next to me at the piano. "It's not that simple. She's Miley Cyrus, I'm not in her league."

My mouth dropped open, "Not in her league?! Shawn, she's singing your song at the Grammys!" I pointed out, my voice going higher than intended, "It's not the other way around. And if she won't budge on the guitar element, because she wants to be a one-trick pony, then prove your talent and play the piano for your opening." I pointed at the keys for effect. He stared at me for a while before a small smile spread over his face.

"I don't know what I'd do without you." He simply said in response.

I laughed loudly but poked him softly in the arm, "Just don't let her walk all over you Shawn, you're in control here and you're good enough to do this. More than good enough." I added seriously, needing him to understand.

He smiled and reached for the keys, "Want to learn In My Blood on the keys, Camilita?" He grinned.