Chapter 72

"I swear, I have no idea what's going on!", Lucy whispered to make sure Spencer couldn't hear her. They were at Rossi's once again and she and Penelope had taken in a part of the huge couch, having a glass of rosé.

"What do you mean with you have no idea what's going on?", Penelope whispered back. Lucy quickly glanced at Spencer just to make sure that he was distracted and wouldn't listen. Then she turned back to Penelope.

"Spencer's acting weird lately", she said and couldn't hide that she was a bit worried.

"Weird? Lucy, our genius boy has always been some kind of weird", Penelope replied, shaking her head. She clearly didn't get what Lucy meant.

"No, I know that, of course!", Lucy hissed before taking a sip from her glass. "I mean that sometimes he just disappears, saying he would go grab some stuff from the grocery store around the corner but then comes back an hour or so later – with no grocery stuff! And when I ask him what he's been doing he just rambles or stammers without clearly telling me what's the matter."

While Penelope listened, her eyes widened more and more. She grabbed Lucy's arm. "Do you...do you think he...no. Nope, Spencer Reid wouldn't do that."

"Do I think he's cheating on me? I can't imagine that neither...but...what the hell is it then?" Lucy let out a frustrated groan and leaned back into the pillows. She emptied her glass of rosé quickly and felt like getting another one. She stood up and dragged Penelope into the kitchen with her.

"Do you want me to find out what's going on? You know, I'm good at those things", Penelope said as she poured Lucy and herself another glass.

Now Lucy grinned, but shook her head. "No, it's okay. I trust in the fact that he'll tell me when something's wrong. He knows he can talk to me about everything."

The two women went back to the others and for the rest of the evening, Lucy could put away those questions about what was going on with her boyfriend.

But as the days passed, nothing changed. Spencer seemed to be nervous from time to time and he still disappeared without telling Lucy where he was going or he used an excuse. Lucy slowly started to get mad at him. And as if this wasn't enough already, Lucy realized that Luke and Penelope had started to act weird around her as well.

Biting her bottom lip, Lucy roamed through the apartment while Spencer was in the office doing some paper work. She was thinking about calling Penelope and forcing her to say what was going on. Should she do so or not? That was the question. But Lucy couldn't bear it anymore. She grabbed the phone from the couch and called Penelope's number.

"Hello sweet girl!", she got greeted from her friend.

"Penny, what's going on with Spencer? I know you and Luke know something! And it drives me insane to not know anything!", Lucy burst out and couldn't stop her voice from sounding desperate.

"Oh, sweetheart. I...I can't tell you. Spencer would kill me if I'd do. Please don't hate me", Penelope whined.

"But...is it something bad?", Lucy asked hesitantly. She knew that Penelope wouldn't say anything and she didn't want to force her anymore. Her friend already sounded kind of desperate as well. She wanted to tell Lucy but she couldn't.

Now Penelope laughed. "Oh no, dear, it definitely isn't something bad!", she exclaimed and Lucy couldn't hold back a smile at the sound of her friend's voice. Penelope seemed to be excited now.

"Okay", Lucy sighed. "I don't have any other choice than to wait, right?"

"That's right, doll", Penelope replied and Lucy could hear that her friend was smiling.