Chapter Four ~ The First Assassin Pt. 2

"Bye Mommy," I say as I open the door of our house.

"See you later, baby.  Remember your promise," she replies, tucking my robes around me a little tighter. 

I tuck my wooden sword into its sheathe and go to pick up my backpack.  The weight has increased dramatically, and when I look inside I see a small diamond sword staring back at me.

"Mommy, what't this fo-" I begin, but she cuts me off.

"It's for protection. Keep it hidden."

I nod and put my bag on my shoulder.  I wave and start running towards the school.

When I arrive, one of the snobby girls in my class walks up to me with her clique.

"Oh, little Justina finally got here!  Why are you wearing that outfit?  Trying to be like your father?  My father is a business man, and he is high above your assassin father."

"Don't talk about my dad like that," I growl, lowering my face.

Her eyes narrow.  "Show your face when you talk to me." 

Before I can react, my hood is ripped of of my head, revealing the headphones.

"Why are you wearing these?" asks another girl, trying to snatch them. I swipe her away defensively, and I immediately leave dark purple cuts in her arm.

Ender scars. The only other way of getting them besides the ender dragon is from a hybrid.  I remember Daddy reading me that from the lore. 

The girl screams and the teacher runs over. When she sees the cuts, she stares at me and grabs her phone from her pocket, dialling as fast as she can.

"Someone hold her down. I'm calling help."

My class swarms me and pins me to the ground while I cry out, thrashing and kicking.  

"Don't do this! Please! I don't want to hurt anyone!"

Before long, a bunch of men run into the school and grab me.  They tie my hands behind my back and throw me into the back of a horse carriage.  I scream at them to let me go back home, but they don't listen. 

"Your parents will know what happened," is the only reply I get before the men climb onto the front of the cart and ride away.

~~~~~

The carriage begins to slow as we approach a massive stone building.  I gulp nervously and cradle my backpack closer, glad it's still with me.

A man yanks me from the back of the carriage and leads me to a small cell.  Obsidian chains hang from the wall, waiting to trap somewhere there.  Hastily, my hands and feet are chained to the wall. The man grabs my headphones from my head and throws them across the room.

"This was a prison built especially for scum like you.  Good luck escaping."

He cackles and leaves my cell.  I fight the chains holding me, tugging at them with all my might. 

"They aren't going to break, you know.  They're obsidian."

I stop trying to fight the chains and turn in the direction of the voice.  The fluffy face of a bacca looks at me from a barred window that connects our cells, her eyes shockingly blue.  She has a slight accent that's almost Brazilian, like she's from the jungle.

"Who are you?" I whisper.

"I'm Ann. What's you name?"

"Justina.  Why are you here?"

"My village was attacked, and I managed to escape, but was caught later."

I sigh and stare at the floor.

"Ann, you don't want to be near me. Those headphones keep me from turning into an ender dragon, and I could kill you," I warn.  Ann shrugs.

"I'll help you get them back if you promise that you can help us escape.  I've been in here for a week and I'm really missing sunshine."

"Deal. Wait, us?"

"Yeah, we'll go as a group! Two is better than one!"