Chapter Ten ~ The Second Assassin Pt. 2

I'm definitely dead.

I open my eyes slowly and try to stand up from the bed where I'm lying, but I fall back down.  My back aches and hurts like crazy, but the arrow is gone and the blood has stopped. 

"Where am I?" I mumble.  Oak walls surround me and the ceiling is relatively low.  The room is quite small, but it has a window that's a decent size.  Thin white carpet covers almost the entire floor and a rose in the pot sits on the side table.

"Guys, she's awake," I hear someone say.  It's a female, but she isn't an adult.  Her voice is too high.

"Who's there!?" I demand, pulling the covers to just under my chin.

Much to my surprise, I see a small bacca with prominent blue eyes poke her head into the room through a small crack in the door.  

"How are you feeling?" she asks, a faint accent audible in her speech.  She has a diamond axe strapped to her belt, though she looks too innocent to use it.

"Who are you?" I ask, trying to hide the terror I feel.

"My name's Ann," she replies.

"Are you the only one here?  I thought I heard other voices..." I mutter.

"You did," Ann says. Another assassin girl, a girl in what looks like a Pikachu sweater, and a sorcerer boy follow the bacca into the room.

"Uh, where am I, why am I here and where are my parents?" I ask quickly.

"Well, we were looking for civilization when we saw your village. It was being overrun by mobs, and we were fighting when we saw you lying on the street with an arrow in your back. Wolfie here used his healing magic to stop the bleeding and keep you alive until we could get you here," the assassin explains. She makes a gesture to the sorcerer boy, who waves.

"But where are my parents?" I inquire.

They all stay silent, and it feels like my world is collapsing.

"They didn't make it, did they?" I ask, my voice shaking.

"We saw two adults running to you, but they got swarmed by mobs.  They did really well fighting them off, but in the end there were too many," the sorcerer explains.

I fall back into my bed, tears welling in my eyes.  My parents, assassins of the Brotherhood, dead.

"I'm sorry. It happens to the best of us," Ann mumbles.

"What do you mean?"

They all look at each other, and I cock my head to the side.  I wipe away the flow of tears long enough for them to talk.  "What happened to you guys?"

"My village was attacked and my parents were probably killed," Ann says after a long pause.

"What do you mean, probably?"

"I don't know. I was told to run."

I look at her, and I can see the sorrow behind her eyes.  The tight feeling in my chest and throat grow more uncomfortable.

"I was captured at school and taken to a prison. I don't know what happened to my parents," says the assassin. "And my name's Justina, by the way."

My eyes widen. "My parents were talking about you the evening before the attack.  Our parents were in the same Assassin Guild, but we lived in different towns.  They wanted to find you." 

Justina smiles weakly.  "I figured they would try to find me."

"What happened to you two?" I ask, turning from Justina to the other two. 

"I was running away from my foster parents. They didn't care about me," Wolfie explains.

I look over to the Pikachu girl, whose eyes are brimming with tears.

"I was adopted by a pikachu when I was young, and a couple of days ago she was shoved into water and drowned by some evil trainers. My name is Julia, and I'm a lost Pixelmon."

Undoubtedly, all of us are a mess. We're all so broken.  I wipe some more tears from my eyes and try to ignore the tightness in my chest.

"Look, do you want to join our group?" Wolfie asks. 

I look over at him quizzically.  "Group? What do you call your group?" 

They all look at each other.

"We never thought of a name," Justina says.

"Well, we live in Canada, Minecraftia. The Canadians?" Wolfie suggests.

"Uh, how about Team Canada?" Julia asks quietly, wiping the tears from her cheeks.

"Guys, what about Team Canadian?" Ann looks at the others for approval.  Everyone nods in agreement.

"Sounds good.  Anyway, we never asked you your name," Justina says, turning to me. 

"Khali," I reply.

"Alright Khali. Do you want to join Team Canadian?" Wolfie asks.

"Yes I do."