sing me to sleep || i love this so much

[ this is an old idea turned into something more and i love it

song: there's two that come to mind with a lyric similar to the title right off the top of my head so it's either asleep by the smiths or the light behind your eyes by my chemical romance lmao

⚠️- no foul language for once, but it's got very cheesy stuff, then further on it mentions logan's death

stay safe,
lew. ]

——————

Lewis couldn't fall asleep.

It wasn't that foreign of an problem, seeing as he'd had issues with that for a long time. It didn't help, being back in Huntington, with the noises from gunshots coming every so often.

He didn't want to wake up Mason and Chloe, considering they weren't getting enough sleep as it was, with the new baby and everything. So, since it was only two am, and with the three hour time difference...

He put his earbuds in, then pressed the 'Facetime' button on Logan's contact, sitting up and turning on the lamp beside the bed. It took a few, but Logan finally answered, looking just as tired as Lewis.

"Can't sleep?" Logan asked, his normal smile on his face.

Lewis shook his head. "It's hard to sleep, and I don't wanna wake anyone here up. It's only like eleven where you are, but it's two here."

"All that work we did getting your sleeping schedule back on track..." Logan teased. "You caught me at the right time, though. I'm waiting for Spence to pick me up. We're going over to Jon's place to watch some horror movie he's been bugging us about."

"Wow, I kinda wish I was there."

"It's apparently a really bloody movie, babe, so you'd walk out, hide in my shirt, or have nightmares," he calmly pointed out. "We'll find something to watch with the guys when you get back."

"You're probably right. Thanks for picking up, have fun. I'll be back next week, remember?"

"Of course." Logan went silent for a minute, then said, "You were going to have me sing for you if I wasn't busy, weren't you?"

The blush across Lewis' face was evident, even in the shitty lighting. He nodded, and Logan's smile just grew. "Lucky for you, I just recorded me playing another song today. I'll send it to you."

"You know I save all the videos you send me, right?" He mumbled. "I've still got the first one you sent me, the guitar one of 'Sins' we did in high school."

"Oh gods... You still watch that?" Before Lewis could answer, there was a honking noise on Logan's end. "Spence is outside, I gotta go. Don't let any country boys steal your heart while you're there."

Lewis snorted, then waved at the camera. "Bye, sunshine. Have fun. If Jon screams like a little girl, you gotta get some evidence or something. Talk to you in the morning."

Just a few minutes after the call ended, his phone vibrated with a message from Logan. The video, like Logan had promised.

The file of videos on Lewis' phone was pretty varied. Logan had covered so many songs and sent them, and some of them were even the rough outlines of their own tracks. Frank Sinatra, The 1975, Queen, Coldplay, Halsey: all of them were saved.

The newest one started out with Logan making sure that he would be in frame, making a jokingly exaggerated face as he steadied the phone. Then, as he began to play and sing, the smile on Lewis' face just got bigger. 'Pompeii' by Bastille. A song that he made the comment to Logan about doing a cover of it just a few days ago.

Before it was even over, Lewis was fast asleep.

——

A few days after the breakup, he began to archive and delete all the pictures and videos of Logan on his phone. They were reminders he didn't need anymore.

But Lewis had the packrat mentality. Maybe one day, he'd want to rewatch the videos that helped him fall asleep, right?

So he created a separate YouTube account, and began uploading the covers privately with the dates attached. An archive of content that only he could access, in the hopes that one day, he'd be over this rough patch in the road.

——

Once Lewis and Logan actually began to be civil towards each other again, Lewis felt okay enough about it to access those videos again.

He used his dog as an excuse sometimes. Saying, "Oh, Dottie misses Logan, so it's a good thing I've got videos of him", even though his girlfriend could definitely see through the bullshit.

But it was a pretty decent excuse. The dog really did adore Logan, and would sometimes howl along on the rare occasions he'd actually sing nowadays. Things like that, Lewis secretly recorded, and added to his collection.

——

Then, years later, after Logan's death, Lewis sat down at his computer and logged in to an account he'd almost forgotten about. There was a delay as he set up his camera and pressed 'record', and it was clear he was already pretty over-emotional.

"I just wanna post an intro-type thing before I post the actual content. I'm Lewis, very formerly of With Love, and all of the videos on this account are ones that I either took myself or ones that were sent to me directly by Logan."

He took a deep breath and wiped at his eyes before continuing. "In case you hadn't guessed... um, he and I were— we were romantically involved for a while during the writing, recording, and touring for With Love's second album. During that time— and before— I had a lot of issues related to sleeping, and Logan would send me videos of him covering different songs on piano. We'd also send rough versions of our own songs."

"When we broke up, I created this account and privately uploaded all the things I had. After he and I became friends again, I'd add videos of him and my dog, and just other ones I took. So... here. Let his legacy live on, you know?"

He shut the video off there, uploading it publicly before he chickened out. After it went up, he made all of the other videos public as well, all those years of footage and memories no longer just his.

Like one Lewis had taken of Logan playing a song by The 1975 early in the morning, singing softly because he didn't know that Lewis had woke up as soon as he left the bed. Or the Bohemian Rhapsody one, where Lewis did backing vocals from off to the side out of the view of the camera. Or the rough take of what would eventually become Nearly Witches, Lewis' nonsensical lyrics being replaced with some of Logan's own.

He logged into his old Twitter account and shared the link to the channel. As the retweets and likes and replies began to pour in, all he could do was smile a little. He felt like this was the right thing to do, despite all the hell he'd catch from the media over it.

—————

[ me, actively shedding a tear: i just love them so much ]