gods & monsters || four

[ this is probably my favorite au now cool

and i might've lied about what this part will entail bc i just had the idea to let this one be lewis and alex decoding the hints and then the next part will be a skip of probably a year or so?? i'm not 100% yet

- lew. ]

—————

Within an hour of telling Alex the truth, the two of them were packing bags to go find this goddess, one his mother just reference to as 'Balance' in the notes.

The town listed was all the way in Kentucky (the only state Lewis hated more than Ohio), and since Alex wasn't a fan of planes, Lewis agreed that driving would be the best option. So, while Alex took their bags down to Lewis' car, Lewis called Logan to check on things.

"Ezra's got his own little group. The Hades guy is over there, but we've got Zeus and Poseidon- Not that Zeus could really be counted for much. Teenager who keeps shocking himself," Logan sighed into the phone. "When can we expect you back?"

Lewis laughed awkwardly, pulling in a deep breath before saying, "'Lex and I need to go on a trip. We should be back soon. It's important, though, it's a... a family thing."

Having known Lewis for literally almost half his life, Logan knew when his friend was lying (Plus, Apollo was known as the god of truth...). 'A family thing'... yeah fucking right. But still, he got the feeling that Lewis wouldn't just run off unless it was important. "Be careful, Plant Boy. Tell Alex I said hi."

"Of course, sunshine. I'll talk to you soon, love you, man."

Lewis hung up the phone, an anxious feeling bubbling to the surface. He couldn't quite pinpoint what was making him anxious, though, so he just shook it off (as well as all the leaves), then made sure he had everything he'd need, including his vitamins.

After he locked the house up and went to his car, he realized Alex was in the driver's seat, all ready to go. "I can drive, you worked all day," Lewis told him.

"Honey, you're so stressed out, you're shaking. I'll drive until I get tired, then it's your turn. Deal?" Alex offered him that smile, the one that almost always made him melt.

So Lewis shut up and got in the car.

——

The trip wasn't too bad. A lot of it was spent listening to music and screaming along at the top of their lungs, just like they used to do back in Huntington.

But after they crossed the Indiana/Kentucky border and got a hotel for the night, Lewis' phone began to buzz incessantly. Texts piled up on his lockscreen, all notifications from a group chat he didn't recall being a part of.

That is, until a message from Logan appeared at the very top of the list, simply saying, 'hey we started a gc'. Very fucking helpful.

He glanced over at Alex, who had fallen asleep practically the moment his head touched the pillow. A soft smile accompanied the loving way he pulled the blankets up around his husband.

Then, Lewis made the very poor decision to open up the chat. It was called, very eloquently, "fuck ezra", and so far it seemed to be just a bunch of nonsense.

Someone named 'Nix' (was it short for Phoenix? Who knew.) just kept sending hyper-specific memes, only to get scolded by someone named Sierra. And Logan. And practically half the people here.

Lewis, very hesitantly, mind you, typed up a message and hit send before he could psych himself out.

lewis: whose idea was this??