Chapter 20 - The Wandering Winter

Millibelle's POV

I wake sometime around noon. Doing a big stretch, I then take stock of my supplies. The Grand Cave Whip Spider should last a while longer, so I'm in no need of food at the moment. Really, all that I'm lacking is metal. 

I guess I could head to that mining town and see if I could buy some, or even better, pick up some equipment so I can gather more on my own. I still have the two Gold that Lentil gave me, that should be more than enough to cover the cost. 

I spread my wings and take off into the skies once more. On the way I fix my human form back to well, human. From what World Knowledge tells me, nothing resembling the drider currently exists, so it's best if I don't use that form at all. Something about missing data or whatever.

A few hours of top speed flying later, I land within a forest of pine-like trees. Better not spook the locals by flying closer. I switch into my human form, donning the best pair of silk armor I made yesterday. I also quickly make a belt with hoops for the Paired Fell Chelicerea. Now then, I look somewhat like an adventurer!

*Like an adventurer that had her armor stolen and all she's left with is her padding.*

Hey, that's rude. I guess it does look that way, though... But I currently don't have anything to fix that with, so that's how it'll have to be. Besides, with my Skills and Stats the way they are, I don't really need armor at all. It's more to sell the story.

I adjust my armor and weapons slightly before heading onto the nearby forest road. It's a simple packed dirt road, covered in brown needles shed from the surrounding trees. Keeping an eye out for anyone approaching or coming up behind me, I break into a light jog.

Before long, the lights of the town at the foot of the mountain come into view. I slow down to normal walking speed. Would be hard to pass as a human if I came in like the Roadrunner. By the time I arrive at the gates, the sun hangs low in the sky. I also notice a distinct chill building the closer to town I get.

"Greetings, Traveler, what is the reason for your visit to Hu'ul?" A Beast-Folk male, who I assume to be a guard, asks me. "I'd like to purchase ore, or equipment to gather ore." I inform. He gives me a look, as if I'm not quite right in the head. "I don't know how far you've traveled to get here, but currently, all mining operations are suspended on account of the Morke that's overtaken the mine."

"I apologize, I tend to wander a lot, so what happens in the Kingdom isn't always known to me." I explain to him, hoping he'll buy it. "How long has it been here? The Morke I mean." The guard shrugs, seemingly not used to people not being in the know. "I mean, we're the main supplier of ore this far east in the Kingdom, so our operations being out for over two months should be well known at this point." Whoops.

I mean, that's almost longer than I've been alive in this world, so... "That long? Why hasn't anyone done anything about it yet?" I ask him. If they really are the main supplier of ore, then having the mine operational should be the main priority? "Maybe you don't come this far east much, but Morkes are some of the most dangerous things in this part of the kingdom." The guard explains.

"Call 'em the Wandering Winter around here. Cursed things freeze anything that gets too close to 'em solid." He shakes his head. "Guild still hasn't scraped together enough B-Rankers to take it out, on account of the travel restrictions imposed by the Harmekians." Oh, so the neighboring kingdom prevents Hunters from entering Parshura. That's bad. 

"Isn't the Guild meant to be independent though?" I inquire, remembering learning that sometime whilst shopping with Valena. The guard guffaws. "Hah, fat chance of that happening when both Kingdoms have their coin-pouches in front of the Guild's nose like a carrot on a stick. Now, I'd love to stay here and talk to you, but my shift is ending soon, and I guess you have better things to be doing. You may enter the town for now, but I doubt you'll get your ore here."