Chapter 13 - Preparing for the Trial

Valena's Home
Valena's POV

Finally home. I thought I'd die from all the looks I received on the way here. I can't blame them though. I was carrying what looked like a small child in a far-too-big nightgown. I open the front door, and a familiar thud resounds as Meister launches herself from the stairs down to the floor to greet me. 

She stops and sniff the air though, and her body puffs up. "Mroooooorw" A low growl wells from her throat as she postures at me, wings unfolded and tail in full poof. "Put down!" Millibelle orders. "I'm not too sure about that, Meister looks not too pleased with you." I try to get a better grasp on her as she starts to wiggle. "Put down! Say hi to kitty!" She insist. "No!" I try to hold her for dear life.

Suddenly, with a "shlorp" she slides through my grasp. I'm left holding the night gown. She activated Viscous Body to get free of me? "Millibelle, please, what if Meister hits you." I plead as I maneuver the gown back onto her. I don't know if it's because of the Zonked Out status or if this is how she usually is, but she certainly behaves like a little kid. 

As she is once again immobilized by the night gown, she hold out her hand and looks away from Meister. Is she making a peace offering? As I watch in amazement, Meister cautiously makes her way over to Millibelle. She sniffs the hand before rubbing her head against it. Millibelle carefully looks at Meister before trying to stroke her cheek. One rub is all that is allowed before Meister retreats upstairs again. 

"W- what did you just do?" I've never seen such an interaction between monsters. But it was a textbook example of introducing oneself to a Cat. "Say hi to kitty!" Millibelle cheerfully explains as she holds her hands up for me to pick her up again. "How did you learn that? How to greet Meister I mean." I ask as I pick her back up. "Had Cats once, befowe this." Millibelle responds. 

Eh? Before this? "What do you mean, before this?" I start making my way upstairs. I'd much rather introduce her to mother after she is back to normal. She needs a good bath too...
"Befowe monster." She states, as if that made much more sense. I guess I'll ask Mina what that could mean tomorrow. 

I put Millibelle on the bed as I start to prepare a bath. I take care to lock the bedroom door, just in case. She immediately changes back into her normal form, the nightgown disappearing as she does so. "Where do you put it? The nightgown I mean." I ask her through the open bathroom door. 

"Hidden place!" She demonstratively makes a rock appear in her hand. "Is it a Skill?" I ask, checking the temperature of the water running from the faucet. "Uhuh!" She makes the rock vanish again. Never heard of a Skill like that. Gonna need to take a trip to the library and look it up I guess. 

"Come now, time for a bath." I pick up her up. Her face lights up at the sight of the warm, bubble coated water. "Oooh" She coos as I lower her into the tub. She sinks into it, leaving her head the only thing above water. I leave her to soak for a bit before changing out of my clothes, leaving just my underwear on. That way, if she starts making a mess, my clothes wont be soaked. 

When I return, she has started rubbing her arms and chest. "Should I get your back?" I ask. She nods, absentmindedly. I start rubbing her neck, working downwards around her wings. The fur is especially thick and long right where the wings join the body, so I spend some time on that. I admire the design of the wings. The tips where on a dragon or a wyvern there would be a pointy end or a vestigial claw, there was a round patch of skin that's thicker than the rest of the membrane, not unlike the toe-pads of an Amphiboid. 

We finish rubbing her down, and the once white foam has turned a distinct shade of grey. The water has darkened as well. I drain the water whilst Millibelle is still in the tub. I grab the shower-head to rinse off the rest of the suds. Once that is done, I place a towel on the ground so she doesnt slip everywhere. Placing her on the towel, she gets down on all fours and shakes herself vigorously.