Chapter 1

Chapter 1 (Revised 6/3/21)

Willow

Raising my arms above my head whilst a large yawn escaped my lips, I stretched out and cracked my back while looking up to the sky. The sun had set a little while ago and the moon was slowly making its way above the mountains in the distance. Being on high alert now I listened intently for the pack to leave so that I could creep back inside. As if the hours sitting on the ground weren't enough my stomach decided to remind me that I hadn't eaten since breakfast. Tilly, my mother figure, and maid would surely have something for me to eat and was undoubtedly worried sick.

When the war howls sounded and the thunder of paws running off into the distance were barely heard I slowly crawled my way out of my secret garden and up to the hell I presently called home. As I patiently waited for the day to end, I had come up with a plan to escape this hell but needed to discuss it with Tilly first. Slowly opening the backdoor, peaking around it first, I looked to make sure no one was about. With no one in sight and all I could heard was the TV blaring in the living room I slipped inside.

My mother was passed out on the couch with a bottle in hand and desperate housewives telling all their woes. Stepping as lightly as I could I made my way down the hall and towards the stairs. Climbing slowly, I stepped down on the squeaky floorboard and stopped instantly looking behind me to see if the sound had woken my mother. Once my heartrate slowed a little and when no movement was indicated I slid my feet to the very edges of each step and crab walked upstairs so as not to step on another squeaky board. Once at the top I turned and listened once more before making my way down the hall to my bedroom and letting out the breath I was holding.

Gently opening the door, the smell of beef stew assaulted my nose, and my mouth began to water. Tilly sat there on the window seat with a tray giving me one of her stern looks laced with disappointment. Looking to the floor I braced myself for the verbal lashing that was coming as I made my way inside. Tilly hated it when I went into hiding all day without telling her where and why. Most days I hung out in my room or tagging along with her helping her with the chores. Not to say she didn't know where I was when I couldn't be found but that wasn't the point. Trying to lessen the blow I thought that I might be able to butter her up. Giving her a loving smile "Tilly you always know what I need. What would I ever do without you?" Batting my eyes when I was done. I was grateful to have Tilly in my life. She treated me like I was her own daughter and loved me like a mother should. Maybe I could talk her into leaving with me tomorrow.

Shaking her head and with one eyebrow raised she looked me in the eyes. "I heard you had an interesting conversation with your father today. Haven't you learned by now to keep out of his way Willow?"

"How did you know?"

"When I came home from the store it is all he ranted and raved about. Cussing about how the worthless slut was trying to tell him how to run his pack." Shaking her head, "One of these days my dear you won't be able to run and hide. When that day comes, I won't be able to protect you. He will more than likely beat you to within an inch of your life or worse." Her eyed landed on my scabbed over lip but visibly relaxed when no other injuries could be seen. She kept her arms crossed over her chest though and drummed her fingers on her arm. I know what she was waiting for. An explanation.

Letting out a sigh I looked to her "I was on my way back to my room after you left when I heard them talking in his office. Once I heard what they were discussing I had to do something. I know it was foolish, but we lose more and more pack members and warriors by the day. I had to try to do something or at least reason with him to make It stop." I could feel my emotions starting to rise. I knew my eyes were churning black and blue. They might not care about our packs wellbeing, but I did.