Chapter 38

Chris's Point of View

We had reached the spot where I heard the howls just in time. I was so thankful for the witches right now. If we had run here we wouldn't have made it in time. When I saw him crouched on top of her I saw red and rammed him with my head sending him flying into a tree. That sick son of a bitch. I went to her and saw all the bruises and cuts. The blood running from the line on her chest made me growl. I nudged her with my head and when she looked at me I could see the tension leave her body. "Athena sit with her please while I end this bastards life." She looked around as Athena started to come to her. Her eyes fluttered closed and it made my heartbreak. "Keep her awake too. I can't lose her again Athena." She nodded her head and I turned around. Today was the day I would get my revenge.

Willow's Point of View

A soft hand was patting the side of my face and I could hear a voice. "Willow wake up. You need to stay with me" I turned my head slowly to see Athena sitting beside me. I tried to smile looking up at my friend but I coughed and winced in pain instead. "It's ok. We are here now. Willow, I know this is going to be hard but I want you to sit up." I closed my eyes again. Another slap in the face this time harder. "No Wake up" the tone in her voice let me know that my injuries were as bad as I thought they were. After my adrenaline wore off all I wanted to do was sleep. Pains ran up my legs, my arm, my chest, my head, all I wanted to do was curl up in the snow and sleep. I took a deep breath even though it hurt to breathe and tried to sit up. She slid her arms under mine and pulled me backward until I felt a tree behind me. "Athena..." she shook her head at me. "Save your strength, Willow. I'm here don't worry. Were all here" I started to close my eyes again but this time she shook me. "Damn it Willow Stay awake."

I shook my head up and down and tried to focus on something, anything, to keep my mind going. To keep me from welcoming the darkness and death I knew was coming. I had so many mixed emotions welled up in my chest. So many questions that I wanted to be answered. I knew that most wouldn't be since Dominic killed Stephen but it made me wonder if my mother was still alive. I wondered if Chris was happy that he rejected me. I wondered if I would even live long enough to know the answers to any of my questions. Athena stayed by my side and I looked out over the carnage before me. The Crescent moon pack obviously had their shit together. Most of Dominic's wolves had been taken down and were laying in the snow as men naked. The beautiful previously white snow now stained red while body parts littered the ground. The warriors that Chris brought only suffered minor injuries although I noticed Leo had a big gash down his side.

The men had started to pile the dead bodies in a pile. I looked to see where the witches went and they had that dark witch Isabella surrounded chanting something. She was screaming out in pain as a weird mist of light and dark settled over her. At first, I thought I was seeing things but it swirled around her body like a slow-moving tornado. Maybe they were killing her. Could you suffocate from the mist? Smoke I knew you could but mist. Another question. I leaned my head back against the tree and started to close my eyes again. Athena shook me gently this time and I popped back up with a groan. I loved her but goddess why wouldn't she just let me sleep. Of course, I knew why but sleep and darkness are all I wanted.

I tried to focus on where Chris and Dominic were fighting. Even in wolf form Chris was more masculine, had more speed and agility than Dominic. Both had fur dripping in blood although Dominic had a chunk missing from his shoulder. Chris had a gash on his stomach. I wanted to help him take down the man who put me through hell. I wanted to get up and strangle the life from him. I wanted to not lay here and die. Athena abruptly stood up and was in a defensive stane when I saw what she was looking at. Bella had come back, clothed and weaponized. I guess the fight wasn't over yet. Athena spoke to her and tried to get her to stop but it was no use. I heard bones cracking when I turned back to see Chris had broken Dominic's front leg. I silently thanked the moon goddess it wasn't the other way around.

I felt so helpless. Everyone around me was fighting some sort of battle or another. I tried to stand using the tree to help support my weight but I kept falling back down. "Leave her alone Bella. She is an innocent bystander in your sick game. Someone to place all the blame on."

"No Athena" Venom dripped from her words. "She is not innocent. She is the reason all of this is happening." As she spoke those words a deep growl pierced the air, followed by a sickening crunch. I turned to see Chris with Dominic's throat in his mouth and a dead Dominic on the ground. It was finally over. He was finally dead. Then I remembered Bella was standing there. If she was mad before she was furious now. A horrible hair raising growl left her lips and she started to come for me. She effortlessly through Athena out of the way although she tried to scramble to her feet to stop her, but was kicked into a tree. Bella came at me with a dagger in her hand, "You bitch Look at what you have done. You couldn't just die could you" I could hear paws running in the snow but the dagger in her hand had already been plunged into my stomach and yanked upward. As she withdrew it a flash of fur was on her taking her away but not before she got one more stab in. This time I knew it was close to my heart.

Chris had removed her head and came back to me. Kneeling down he took my shaking hands in his. Both of us covered in blood. He yelled for Trixie. "Willow don't move you are going to be ok" I looked at him hoping that his confidence in that statement showed on his face but it didn't. Today was the day I was going to die. I always knew it would be. But at least I got to see him one last time. My breathing was becoming labored and my vision was blurry. I coughed and blood ran from the corners of my lips. "Chris..." He looked at me. "Hang in there Willow please hang in there" I closed my eyes but he patted my face. "Chris" he looked at me with such pain in his eyes. Was he sad to see me go? "I'm here Willow. Don't try to talk. Were going to get you home and see doc ok." he sounded frantic. I had to tell him I had to get the words out of my mouth. My vision was almost black It wouldn't be much longer I had to say it now. I had to get it out "Chris I L...." too late. I couldn't get it out. I couldn't hold on. The darkness comforted and welcomed me. No matter how much I wanted to stay here the pain was going away.