Chapter 26

We had sat down over a plate of spaghetti with meatballs and garlic breadsticks. It all smelled so good. We sat in silence for the longest time. I wasn't really sure what to say to him. I still felt torn about what to do. Being that we were mates and I was possibly the future Luna of his pack I had to protect them but at the same time the thought of leaving saddened me and the darkness inside flared. He must have noticed me staring off into space lost in thought. Coughing lightly I brought my focus to him "Is your dinner good?" I nodded my head up and down "Yes it is thank you". Another bought of silence settled between us. I didn't feel like talking really. I was to busy fighting my wolf and myself. He broke the silence once more "Hmm, So there is a ball Saturday. The whole pack attends and we celebrate the fall equinox under the Harvest Moon. Would you like to be my guest?" A smile spread across my face I wasn't sure what to say. This was a big step him taking me out in front of the whole pack.

"Yes, I would love to be your guest. Wait Saturday that's tomorrow. I have nothing to wear"

"Don't worry I will have Athena take you into town tomorrow to find something to wear. It's a black and white ball so pick out something accordingly."

I raised my eyebrows and my mouth fell open a bit. "You're letting me leave the manor" the words fell out of my mouth slowly.

"With Athena not alone" His features became very stern.

I nodded and smiled "Thank you, Chris. It will be nice to get out."

He gave me a half-smile back. "Your welcome"

We finished our meal in silence before going to bed. Something felt off though. He laid with his back to me the whole night and when I awoke the next morning he was gone again.

****************************************************

"Here try these on Willow" Athena slung a bunch of dresses over the door to the dressing room. "I want to see them on you Willow so don't hide in there like you did the last 10"

"I'm sorry but I just can't find anything that says Hi I'm your Alphas new plaything I might be your Luna one day but he doesn't trust me enough yet to even claim me as his mate. Do you see a dress out there that says all that."

Athena bust out in laughter. "Jeez Willow it's not that bed. He did claim you in one way."

I rolled my eyes and stepped out of the dressing room. "I don't know Athena this color is all wrong. All of them are. I want to find a dress that speaks sophistication. I don't want to give him another reason not to claim me."

"Ok hang on. I think I saw something out there but I wasn't sure you would like it. Let me grab it. I think you would look perfect in it." As quickly as she left she returned holding a black dress. "Here try this on"

I did as I was told. Once I had it on and looked in the mirror I felt like a girl from a bridal show This was the dress. The necklace was in a sweetheart shape accenting my breasts just right. The Sleeves hung off the shoulder and billowed down almost goddess-like. The sides were cut out to accent my sides and the hourglass shape it couldn't hide. The dress itself hung to the floor but had to long slits up the sides that went all the way up my thighs. the edges were trimmed in white rhinestones and pearls. It was perfect. I stepped out to show Athena and she just smiled at me. "He is going to die when he sees you. Now let's get you out of it and grab some lunch and go get pampered."

I didn't argue and was very happy with my choice. By the time we grabbed lunch had our nails, hair, and makeup did it was just about time for us to leave for the ball. We weren't going to make it on time to leave with Chris and Leo so Athena linked them and told them that we would meet them there. We stopped at the dress shop and the owner graciously let us change there. She was heading to the ball too and was just about to close the shop when we arrived. Within minutes we were on our way.

I was so nervous as we pulled up to the gathering house as Athena called it. It looked like something out of a cinderella story. Slowly we made our way up the steps and inside. I grabbed Athena's hand. She was dressed in a black lowcut cocktail dress but it complemented her perfectly. "What if he doesn't like the dress? What if I embarrass him? What if I make a fool of myself Athena."

Giving my hand a light squeeze "You look perfect and you will be fine. Come on were late let's go party" She gave me a wink and pulled me up to the doors. Stepping inside it was so elegantly decorated. The roof had a big glass dome overtop to allow the moonlight to pour in. The music was classical and everyone had a drink in hand. Laughter filled the air and my eyes searched the crowded hall to find Chris. Athena had left me to stand there by myself and left to find Leo. Everyone turned and looked at me as I walked through the room. Bella stood off to one side with a bunch of women. We locked eyes and she turns to tell them something pointing at me. No one said a word they just stared. I could feel the blush creep up my cheeks. I shouldn't be here. I grabbed the necklace around my neck and headed back towards the door to see Chris at the base of the steps.

He had a huge smile on his face and walked up to me and offered his arm. My hands were shaking and I didn't even realize it until I looped my arm through his and he turned me to walk into the room. Everyone started to whisper around us and I looked down but he drew my attention to him. "You look amazing"

"Thank you"

We reached the front of the room where the band was playing. "Welcome to our Autumn Ball." The crowd went quiet and you could hear a pin drop. Everyone's eyes flickered back and forth from me to him. "Tonight we come together under the harvest moon to thank the goddess for a bountiful and prosperous year. Autumn holds a great lesson for all. Though the leaves may shrivel up and fall until its bear they always come back stronger than before. Tonight under the Full Harvest Moon we celebrate and at midnight we howl to send our thanks." Scanning the crowd he turned to the band signaling them to play. "Lets dance"

With that, the crowd erupted in applause and he led me off the stage. Taking me onto the dance floor to dance to start the festivities. I had a moment of de ja vu but wasn't sure why. An uneasy feeling settled into my stomach. I felt like I needed to remember something but couldn't.