An Invisible Friend

It had been raining since lunch time and Moomin and his friends had spent all afternoon in Moomin House, waiting for the sun to come out. There was a knock on the door and Moomin got up to answer it.

"Good evening Moomin." The blonde stranger greeted him.

"Too-Ticky! Come in!" Moomin turned and called out to his mother while Too-Ticky stayed in the doorway.

"Come on in Ninny and meet Moomin." She said to someone outside. Moomin looked back outside. "Is there someone with you?" He asked.

"Yes, I brought my friend Ninny."

"Ninny?" Moomin looked around but couldn't see anyone. "There's no one there."

"Yes there is. You just can't see her. I'm afraid she's very very shy."

Everyone got up and looked out the door to try and see the invisible friend.

"Too-Ticky, how nice." Moominmama said as she walked into the living room. She noticed everyone standing in the doorway and walked over. "What is everyone looking at?"

~~~

Everyone sat at the diner table as Mama poured them tea. "About Ninny," Too-Ticky started. "You know, sometimes, when people are very frightened they can become invisible to the people around them. Poor Ninny...she's looked after by an aunt who doesn't like her and is very horrible to her. Ninny got so upset that she became invisible and her aunt said she couldn't be bothered to look after little girls she couldn't see."

"And what did you do to this old aunt? I hope you told her she hurt Ninny's feelings." Little My said.

"It wouldn't have done any good with someone like her." Lulamoon told them. "Some people just don't care about how they treat others."

Too-Ticky nodded and took a sip of tea. "That's why I took Ninny home and then, since you're the nicest family I know, I brought her here so you can make her visible again."

"We're very flattered of course, Too-Ticky but uh..." Moominpapa trailed off.

"If anyone can do it you and Moominmama can. And Moomin can play with her."

Moomintroll thought for a moment. "I'm sure I can think of lots of games but it'll be hard to play if I can't see her. She'll be really good at Hide n' Seek though."

"Oh it's ok. You'll know where she is because her aunt hung a little bell around her neck."

Just then, they all heard the door open and Too-Ticky got up and ran over to it. She held the door open for her invisible friend and introduced her to the Moomins. Moominmama offered Ninny a drink and they all moved back into the dining room. After Ninny finished her drink, Too-Ticky said her goodbyes. As the day got later and the rain didn't stop, Little My and Sniff also decided to head home.

 Moominmama took Ninny upstairs and showed her the guest room. Thingumy and Bob left last week so the room was free to use again. Papa, Moomintroll and Lulamoon were all still downstairs when Mama came back down. "I was wondering," Moominpapa said as he stood up from couch. "If there was anything that could help her in your granny's book of household remedies."

"I don't know if there's a cure for invisibility. I can't remember but I'll have a look. It has a remedy for most things."

"There's plenty of counter curses for it." The young witch spoke up. "But I'm afraid that since this was caused mentally then the potions and spells I know won't be much to help."

"I'll go and see then." Mama said and went up to her room to find the book.

Lulamoon looked at the time and saw how late it was getting so she put her cloak on cloak. "Lulu, are you leaving?" Moomintroll asked. She nodded and flipped her hood up. Moomintroll and Papa said their goodbyes and headed upstairs to go to bed. Lulamoon opened the door and was about to leave when someone called to her.