The Wooden Crate

It was the end of summer but still, everyday seemed hotter than the last. Moomin Valley has had no rain for weeks and finally the river had dried up.

"Papa says this weather is a catastrophe, Snufkin." Said Moomin. Him, the mumrik and Lulamoon were all sat under the bridge next to Snufkin's camp. Only small puddles was left of the river.

"Oh, Not really." Snufkin drawled. Leaning back and looking relaxed. Lulamoon stared at him. 'How is he not dying in that coat?'

"But it is." Moomin continued. "He says Moomin Valley will turn into a desert if it carries on."

"I don't think that will happen Moomin."

"Papa can't ever remember it being so hot. Even the river has dried up!"

"Now, that does worry me. I can't fish anymore. In all my travels, I've found that droughts like this are always followed by a really heavy down pour." Snufkin moved his hat to cover his face and take a nap. Moomin got up and looked at the witch.

"Me, Snorkmaiden and Little My are going swimming today. Wanna come?"

"Oh, I can't swim." Lulamoon mentioned, realizing she never actually brought that up. "I'm not afraid of it though! I'll still go with you and sit in the water!"

"You can't swim?" Snufkin spoke up. "Why didn't you say anything when we went on that boat trip?"

"Well, it's not like I had a reason to worry!" She laughed. "You kept me by your side the entire time and I trusted you not to let me fall overboard!"

Snufkin blushed as she basically told him that she trusted him to keep her safe.

~~~

Moomin, Snorkmaiden, Little My and Lulamoon all ran down to the sea. Little My stopped when she spotted something in the water while the others continued. They ran down the long dock and into the shack at the end of it. Moomin and Snorkmaiden put of their swimming clothes and opened the back door that had stairs that led down into the water.

Moomin and Snorkmaiden jumped in while Lulamoon just took off her shoes, pulled up her dress a bit, and sat down on the steps to let her feet rest in the water.

Little My manged to get on top of a crate that was floating around on the water. Moomin came up for air and looked at the crate. "What's this stupid box doing here?"

"I think it's floated from foreign lands!" Said Little My.

"What's it got in it?"

"Maybe it's full of priceless jewels!"

"No. It wouldn't float so high in the water if it was."

~~~

They had brought the box back to Moomin House and Moominpapa pried it open with a crowbar. "What's that?" Little My asked as they all looked inside. It was filled with all sorts of colorful and oddly shaped seeds.

"Seeds, maybe." Said Moominpapa.

"What sort of seeds?"

Mr. Hemulen looked into the box to examine them. "Well, at first glance, I'd say these are tropical seeds."

"What plants are tropical?" Asked Moomin.

"Well, species like banana and mango." The kids all perked up at that. "I haven't done a lot of research on tropical plants so I can't be sure but they do look like it."

"They are." Lulamoon spoke up and they all turned to her. She was holding a seed in her hand and looking at it. They all got excited at the confirmation. If anyone new plants better than Hemulen, it was their resident potions master.