The Floating Theatre

One day in Moomin Valley, not long before mid-summer day, on a perfectly ordinary day. Snufkin suddenly announced that he was going on a short trip.

"Where are you going Snufkin?" Moomin asked as Snufkin fished off the dock of the bath house.

"Oh, not very far. I'll be back." Snufkin said and dropped the fish he caught back into the water. "Right after mid-summer."

"But Snufkin, you'll miss the bomfire and the big party. Why in the world are you going away?"

"There's something I've been dying to do for a long time and it has to be done on mid-summer eve. I promise to tell you all about it Moomin, as soon as I'm back in Moomin Valley."

"Snufkin!" They looked down the dock to see Lulamoon walking towards them with a basket. "I have the fruit you wanted." She said when she reached them. Snufkin thanked her by kissing her cheek.

"Lulu." Moomin spoke up, making the her turn to him after putting the basket down next to her mumrik. "Did you know that Snufkin was leaving?"

She smiled. "For his mid-summer trip? Yes, he told me yesterday! He asked me to pack him some fruit from my greenhouse."

"Well, don't you want him to be here to celebrate with us?"

"Of course I do." Her voice softened in honesty. "But Moomin, Snufkin isn't one for big parties and I'm not gonna keep him here if this trip is something he really wants to do."

The more Snufkin listened to his witch the more he fell in love with her. He never thought he'd find someone as honest and understanding as she was. She'll tell him how she feels and that she'll miss him but he's still free to make his own decisions and travel whenever he liked.

He would have taken her on this trip with him but he wanted her to stay and celebrate mid-summer with everyone else and have some fun. Even though he knew that she'd most likely leave it all behind if it meant coming with him.

Moomin sighed. He really hoped Lulamoon would convince his best friend to stay.

Later that day, Snufkin packed up his camp and set out for his trip. Little did he know, that before he came back, the underwater volcano, which had kept quiet ever since Moominpapa's youth, would wake up again.

~~~

"What's all that smoke?" Moomin question as him and his friend all stood on the beach and watched as smoke arose from the sea.

"Is it the volcano from your father's memoirs?" Snorkmaiden asked.

The ground shook violently and they all ran to get Moominpapa. He grabbed his spyglass and they all went to look at the smoke. The kids all fought over the spyglass while Snork walked up to Papa. "Were the Earthquakes as big in your youth?" He asked.

"No they certainly weren't and this one's under water." Papa said.

"Won't it cause a tidal wave?"

"A tidal wave?!" Lulamoon panicked. "Then, it'll hit Moomin Valley! Won't it Papa?"

"A tidal wave." Papa gravely muttered. "Yes, I never thought of that."

Sniff and Little My fought over the spyglass until they dropped it down the cliff they were standing on.

They all walked back to Moomin House together. Snork left to stay with his flying ship while Snorkmaiden stayed with the group. That night, everyone stayed the night in Moomin House.

~~~

The next morning, everyone woke up to the bottom floor of the house completely flooded. All of Moomin Valley was underwater and the water was still rising. Soon, the water will flood the second floor as well.