Hurry Up Snufkin

It's spring again in Moomin Valley and, after their long winter hibernation, everyone is awake and enjoying the sunshine and the flowers. Everyone, that is, except for Moomin who is in bed with a terrible cold.

Moomin let out a cough just as Lulamoon and Moominmama came into his room. "Oh dear, Moomin. That's a nasty cough." Mama said as she took the towel off his forehead and helped him sit up.

"My throat is sore." He rasped.

Lulamoon held up a glass bottle with some kind of orange liquid in it. "Here, drink this. It'll help clear that cold up."

Moomin took the glass and gulped down the drink, then winced. "It's horrid."

She chuckled and took the glass. "Well, what were you expecting? Raspberry juice? Nice tasting medicine doesn't always work as well."

Moomin looked at his window sadly. "I want to go out. It's spring."

"I know dear." Said Mama as she tucked him back in. "But you'd catch pneumonia or something."

"Hey Lulu?"

"Yes?"

"Does anyone know why Snufkin hasn't come back yet?"

Lulamoon frowned at the reminder and shook her head. "No. Perhaps, spring came earlier this year and he wasn't ready." Moomin hummed and her and Mama left him to rest.

Snufkin had always come back to Moomin Valley on the very first day of spring. But not this year.

Lulamoon and Moominmama went out to the front porch just as Papa was telling Sniff that he couldn't visit Moomin or else he might catch the cold.

"Papa's right, Sniff." Said Mama. "You know how poorly you get when you're ill. It's best not to take the risk."

"I guess, it's better to be safe than sorry. Moomin shouldn't have gone out in the winter, should he mama?"

Mama hummed. "I don't know. But he couldn't go back to sleep."

"Snow will have that effect on anyone." Said Papa. "Mind you, Little My was out in the cold with him and look at her. She seems healthy enough."

They all looked as Little My and Snorkmaiden picked flowers. "Little My is to small to catch a cold." Sniff said and they all nodded in agreement.

~~~

The group of friends were all sat out on the grass. Pulled up some grass and fell back. "This is boring."

"I can't believe that Moomin's sick." Snorkmaiden said. Twirling a flower in her hand.

"And Snufkin's not back either." Sniff added.

Little My sat up. "I sure wonder what's happened to him."

"I bet you Moomin will get better as soon as Snufkin arrives in Moomin Valley."

"He's never been this late coming back before." Snorkmaiden added.

"Perhaps he got fed up with you guys." Little My told them. Lulamoon flinched. As much as she knew it wasn't true, it still stung. "He might have been captured by a highwayman!" Little My yelled.

Snorkmaiden face lit up as she got an idea. "Let's go and look for him!"

Sniff tilted his head. "The highwayman?"

"For Snufkin silly! He's gotta come back so Moomin will get better! We must find him!"

"He went South Snorkmaiden." Lulamoon said. "He could be anywhere over there."