The Phoenix

"I found it!" Moomin called up to Sniff, Snorkmaiden and Little My. They watched at he crawled out of the cellar with Moominpapa's old rifle and a box of ammo.

"Oh boy, a real gun!" Said Sniff in excitement as he looked at it.

Moomin looked down the barrel, pretending to aim. "We must go to a really deserted place." With that, the group ran off into the forest.

They walked pretty far in and stopped at a small pond, surrounded by trees.

"Just watch! I'm gonna hit that ugly old tree!" Moomin said confidently and he pointed at a log that was sticking out of the pond.

"You'll miss it." Stated Little My.

"Why should I?" He sat down and put some gun powder in it.

"Because you've never fired a gun in your life, that's why."

"Some people can do these things naturally and I feel I'm one of them."

"Promise it won't be to loud. That's all I ask of you, Moomin." Sniff said and handed Moomin one of the ball bullets.

Moomin put the bullet into the gun and stood back up.

"It looks very dangerous." Snorkmaiden worried. "Don't point it at anyone."

Moomin aimed the gun and Sniff covered his ears. Moomin tried to aim but he had trouble holding it still.

Finally, he pulled the trigger... and the gun went off. The recoil making him fall onto his back.

~~~

Snufkin was knelt down, staring at a bush of small purple flowers. "Is this it?" He asked Lulamoon who was looking around nearby. She turned to look at the flowers he found and shook her head.

"No. Nightshades kinda look like tiny purple lilies."

Snufkin stood back up. "What are they used for?"

Lulamoon turned to keep looking around. "They can be medicinal plants."

"Can be?"

"Some members of its family are highly toxic."

He shook his head with a chuckle and walked off to keep looking.

Suddenly there was a loud gunshot and he spun back around. His heart stopped when he saw Lulamoon on the ground.

Snufkin ran over to her and dropped to her side, nearly crying in relief when she groaned and moved to sit up. "Are you alright?! Are you hurt anywhere?!" He asked frantically and his eyes immediately locked onto a bleeding cut on her left cheek.

"What happened?"

They both looked at the tree that Lulamoon had been next to and saw the burnt and smoking hole in the bark, right at head level.

"That could have killed me." She muttered in horror.

Snufkin's eyes hardened at the thought and he ran over to the bushes and pushed them out of the way to see who had shot.

He saw Moomin and the others standing on the other end of the pond.

~~~

"The tree is still standing guys." Little My stated.

"This gun shoots to the left, that's all." Moomin grumbled. "This time, I'll show you." He stood back up and dropped another ball bullet into the rifle.

"Don't do it Moomin." They all looked to their left to see Snufkin and Lulamoon walking towards them. He was holding her hand and she looked rather shooken up. Her cheek was all bloody. "I don't want anymore cuts on Lulu."