The Witch

These days, Snufkin and Moomin were together even more than ever. Winter will hit Moomin Valley any day now and then they would have to part. Moomin, to go into hibernation and Snufkin to leave for his trip south.

Snufkin and Moomin walked together down a dirt path when Little My leaped out of the bushes in front of them. "Where are you off to Moomin?" She demanded.

"To the Lonely Mountains." Moomin told her.

"How come you two are always sneaking off somewhere?"

"We're not sneaking off. We're just going for a walk to Lonely Moutains."

"Just the two of you? You're even worse then usual. Never taking any of us with you."

Moomin and Snufkin looked at each other. "I hadn't noticed." Said Moomin. "Are we really doing that?"

The mumrik shrugged. "I'm not sure. Maybe we are."

Little My crossed her arms and glared at them. "No 'maybes' about it! Let me tell you, it's very rude."

"But we were just out for a walk." Moomin repeated.

"I know. Why are you going?"

"Well it'll start snowing soon Little My, and then we won't be able to go anywhere. We wanted a last look at Moomin Valley from above before that happens."

"A likely story."

"But it's true!" Snufkin jumped in. "I'm off very soon and I wanted to see it all! To give me a picture to remember while I'm walking."

Little My hummed and glared at them. She then spun around to the bush she had ran out from. "Did you hear that Snorkmaiden, Sniff, Lulu? Come here!"

Snorkmaiden, Sniff and Lulamoon came out from behind the bush and ran up to them. "Moomin, do you mind if we come along with you?" Snorkmaiden asked immediately.

"Of course not." He told her.

"You see, we thought you were planning something secret and weren't letting any of us in on it." Sniff told them. "Nevermind, off we go!"

~~~

"It would be fun to see it all from here in the middle of winter. All white." Snufkin said as they looked out over the valley from the moutain.

Snorkmaiden nodded in agreement. "It must be very beautiful. With everything white and clean! I'm coming back here in winter to see it for myself."

"You can't do that! You're hibernating!" Little My said.

"Well maybe not! I thought that, this year, I'd try to keep awake all winter."

"You mean just like Moomin and I did last year?"

"Yah!"

"You could never do it."

Snorkmaiden turned to Moomin. "What about you? Are you hibernating?"

Moomin lied back on the dead grass. "I'm not all that mad about the snow and the cold and the dark. So I'm hibernating."

Snorkmaiden look at Lulamoon who was also sprawled out on the grass. "What about you Lulu? Will you be visiting your mother again?"

The witch was quiet for a moment. "I don't think it's a good idea." She finally said. Snufkin glanced at her. "When I went last time all she did was complain about me living here. I love my mother dearly but I don't think I should visit her anymore. I'll still write though."

~~~

"I'm very happy to be going home. I've seen it all now." Said Little My as they all walked down the moutain.