The Solar Eclipse

It was another beautiful day in Moomin Valley and a very exciting day as well. It's the first eclipse in Moomin Valley for thirty years.

The old witch looked up at the sky that was starting to get covered with clouds. "This horrible cloudy weather." She grumbled to herself as Alicia stepped out of the house.

"But you said you'd go out now, didn't you?" The witch in training asked.

"Yes, of course." Her grandmother told her. "Witchcraft is at it's strongest during an eclipse!"

"Would it really make much difference to your spells if the sun was hidden behind the clouds?"

"It won't be."

"If you say so. But during an eclipse, the sun is hidden anyway, isn't it? So what's different about clouds?"

The old witch looked back at her grandaughter. "What kind of stupid question is that? And you plan to be a witch? Bet you don't even know what causes an eclipse!"

"The moon of course!"

"Very clever."

"Excuse me, but what exactly are you going to do up there on top of the mountain?"

"Call apon the Black Sun to strengthen my witchcraft! Bringing me mighty power!" There was a loud caw and a raven flew over to the old witch and handed her a letter. It then flew off after she took it. "Ah, and it seems I will have a partner!"

"A partner? Do you know that raven?"

"Yes, he belongs to Lulamoon. The young witch has excepted my invitation to join me in the ritual."

~~~

Lulamoon was running about her house again, making sure she was ready. Snufkin was sat on the couch and watched her with an amused smirk. "You seem a bit frazzled."

"I'm nervous!" She exclaimed while she adjusted her baby blue witch hat and fixing her skirt. "This is the first time I've actually been able to perform the ritual of the Black Sun! Before, I was only ever allowed to watch, but now I get to be a part of it!"

Snufkin didn't really get the whole 'ritual' thing but he liked seeing her so happy and excited. "So does this mean you won't be watching the eclipse with me and the others?"

Lulamoon gave him a gentle smile. "I'm afraid not. I promise I'll meet up with you all immediately afterwards." She walked over to him as he stood up. "Were you hoping to watch it with me, my mumrik?"

Snufkin blushed. "Well, of course I was. It would have been nice. But you're busy so-" She effectively cut him off with a kiss which he quickly melted into to.

She giggled when she pulled away. "Now, now. If I didn't have witchly duties to attend to, I would have loved to watch the eclipse with you. But I promise I'll come straight to you after the ritual."

~~~

"The clouds are gathering." Said the old witch as she mounted her broom.

"Shouldn't you stay here?" Asked Alicia.

"Don't be so silly! Those clouds will have to be gotten rid of at once! I gotta go, there's plenty of magic to be brewed up." She then lifted off and flew away on her broom as Alicia waved goodbye.

The old witch and Lulamoon reached their chosen mountain at the same time. "The moon smiles!" Lulamoon greeted her when they landed.

"And the stars greet you." The older finished with a smile. "The clouds are starting to gather. We must move them at once."