The Birthday Present

The kids all sat around outside and talked about what Moominpapa was getting Moominmama this year. The day after tomorrow was her birthday!

"Last year, he gave Moominmama a necklace made of seashells." Said Snorkmaiden.

"What'd he get her the year before?" Sniff asked.

"I think it was the ivy hammock."

"It didn't last very long though." Moomin added.

"What was she given the year before that?" Snorkmaiden muttered as she tried to think.

"The problem is this year!" Little My spoke up.

"Hello everyone!" They heard someone yell and they looked up to see Lulamoon. "What's got you all thinking so hard?" She asked.

"We're trying to think of what to give Moominmama for her birthday!"

The witch's eyes widened. "Today?"

"No, the day after tomorrow!"

"Do you think she'd like a nice hairbrush, perhaps?" Asked Snorkmaiden.

"She's hairless!"

"How about getting her some chocolates?" Sniff offered. "The sort with cherries in!"

Little My shot him a look. "Yes, but we all know who'd end up eating most of them."

"We're never going to decide at this rate." Moomin muttered.

Realization dawned on Snorkmaiden's face. "Ah! That must be what's going on!"

Moomin turned to her. "What do you mean?"

"Well, I noticed Moominpapa has been building something very secretly in the shed by our house! I think it must be Moominmama's present!"

"Good for him!"

"And the Snork has been helping him with it!"

"Really?" Moomin hummed. "I wonder what they could be making for her..."

"Whatever they've got, we must think of something better!" Said Little My.

Lulamoon let out a laugh. "We can always just go and ask her what she'd really like, you know!"

~~~

Moominmama wrapped some bandages around Papa's knee. "Now you just rest, okay?"

"Yes dear."

The kids all walked in as Mama stood back up. "We're home!" Moomin called out as they walked in. "What's happened Papa?"

"He tripped over a rock, that's all." Said Mama.

Papa smiled nervously. "Yes, that's right." In truth, he had been building a bike for Mama but it broke when he took it on a test ride and he ended up tumbling down a hill.

Lulamoon silently scanned his knee but it looked fine so she kept quiet. It looked like Mama did a fine job of handling it anyway. "Mama?" She spoke up.

"Yes Lulu?"

"We'd like to know what you want us to get you for a birthday present."

"I think the best present would be one that you had made."

"What sort?"

"Well, I suppose I'm running out of potholders and I use them a lot. They always make good presents, you know." She said with a smile as she carried the medical kit back into the kitchen.

Once she was gon, Moomin turned to Papa. "You've already gotten her birthday present, haven't you?"

"Uh, sort of." Said Papa.