Things That Go Bang In The Night

Big explosions could be heard in Moomin Valley almost every night and Moomin couldn't sleep a wink. Usually it was just one, but sometimes, even two.

He left the house that morning, droopy eyes and tired, and headed for Snufkin's campsite. The mumrik was making soup while Lulamoon sat next to him, using his switch blade to peal an orange. "Goodmorning Moomin." They both greeted him.

"Morning. Did you spend the night with Snufkin again Lulu?" Moomin asked curiously, knowing that she's done it a few times before.

The witch just laughed and shook her head. "No. I just got up early is all and had nothing to do today. I only stay here when Snufkin asks me to."

"You look very sleepy." Snufkin brought up.

Moomin gave him a drowsy nod. "So would you be if those explosions kept you awake for most of the night."

"Those explosions are really very odd, aren't they?"

"They certainly are. Would you two come with me to have a word with the old witch? Papa is convince that she's the one who's making the bangs."

"I think he's wrong there."

"I agree." Lulamoon spoke up as she put her mumrik's switch blade back into his pocket. "When a witch creates an explosion, it doesn't sound anything like a camel cough." Snufkin let out a chuckle.

"I thought he was wrong too but there was nothing I could say to convince him." Moomin said. "So now I'm going to find out for myself."

Snufkin poured himself some soup. "You can certainly ask her, but do you really expect her to tell the truth?"

"But she doesn't have to lie, surely."

~~~

The three of them were walking down the path on their way to the old witch's house when they heard a rustling in the tall grass. "Is that you Little My?" Snufkin called out.

The short girl ran out of the grass and stood on a rock. "And where are you three going?"

~~~

"Last time, the old witch tried to keep you from waking up. So you think now she's trying to keep you from sleeping?" Little My asked as she led the way through the forest.

"Well if she's making the explosions it's always possible that someone else is the target." Said Snufkin. "We know very little about her, and those bangs have probably nothing to do with the Moomins.

When they all reached the witch's house, it was Lulamoon who walked up to the door with a smile and knocked. "The moon smiles." She said when the old lady answered.

"And the stars greet you." The lady finished happily. "What can I do for you dear?"

"Moomin wanted to ask you something." Lulamoon told her.

The older witch looked to the side and saw the younger's three friends standing there. "Look, you don't seem to realize this is a witch's house."

"What do you mean by that?" Moomin asked.

"What I mean is, I don't wanna be seen talking with goody-goodies like the Moomins."

"You think they'll ruin your reputation. Is that why you're so worried?" Little My asked smugly.

The older witch glared at her so Snufkin moved to stand in front of the short girl to block the her line of sight.

"There's just something very important they wanted to ask you." Lulamoon told her. "I promise it won't take long."