29

Maxine's POV

After we had returned to the dining room and finished our breakfast, I decided to stay in my room for a while. I plugged my headphones into my phone and just layed down, closing my eyes as I just got lost in the music.

My music taste was far more advanced than most people. I have lived through centuries and centuries of different music and it was amazing how different everything sounded now compared to when I was a child.

Mozart was one of my favourite composers and I'm grateful that I was lucky enough to meet such a talented and amazing man.

Not only was it amazing how music changed throughout the years, technology had changed drastically too. I guess there are some perks to being a vampire. Watching how everything progresses. It's a truly amazing experience..But it does show how old I am.

From a phonograph that could only play sounds for two minutes, to a cellphone that could play any music for any amount of time. Play games. Watch videos. It was incredible and it continued to surprise me.

I jumped slightly as I felt someone tap my leg gently. I opened my eyes to see Penelope stood over me. I removed the headphones and gave her a smile.

"Sorry if I startled you."

"It's fine. Just got lost in the music and lost in my thoughts. What's up?" I asked pushing myself upwards.

"I have something to show you. I was trying to find the right time...And seeing as you're not doing anything.."

I nodded my head slowly and stood up. "Okay, let's go. Show me whatever it is you wanna show me."

Penelope walked out of the room and I followed her. We walked down the stairs and through the hallway in silence until we reached the stairs that led down to the chapel.

"Down here." She said as she began to walk down the stairs.

I scrunched my eyebrows up in confusion as I followed behind.

"You're not going to kill me are you?"

"I would never even dream of it." She replied seriously.

"I was only kidding."

"I don't care." She said stopping on the stairs and turning to look at me. "Don't ever joke like that, Maxine. I would never hurt you and I certainly would never kill you. I won't lie, I still love you. I never stopped but I know we can't be together again and I've accepted that."

"I'm sorry." I apologised.

"It's fine. Now, come on. I wanna show you before something else takes up your time and attention."

She turned to walk down the stairs but she lost her footing. She almost fell but luckily I managed to wrap my arms around her, stopping her from falling.

"Are you okay?" I asked concerned.

"Yes, thanks to you I'm okay. Thank you."

Our face was inches apart and holding her close like this, our lips so close to touching just took me back to when she was a teenager. When we were happy and together. All I wanted to do was kiss her.

Sure, I loved Cheryl but a part of me was always going to love Penelope.

"Come on." She said removing my arms from her waist.

We continued to walk down the stairs and once we reached the bottom, she took my hand and led me down a small corridor until we reached a door.

"Open it." She smiled.